on 29 May 2012
I had some trouble aligning my dish at first; mostly due to holding a compass, a wrench, myself and my dish, all at the top of a ladder.
After a couple of false starts, some swearing and a near-death experience I took to the internet to find a better way.
I live in Hampshire, England and the procedure that got me results was thus:

0. Attach Konig satellite finder.
1. point dish due east (horizontal adjustment) and vaguely into the sky (vertical adjustment)
2. Turn dish slowly southwards until satellite finder beeps.
3. Turn down the gain until the satellite finder needle is on/around the 5db mark.
4. Turn dish slowly backwards and forwards in the horizontal plane until you find the strongest signal.
5. Tighten the horizontal adjustment.
6. Repeat step 4 but adjust the dish in the vertical plane.

Takes about 5 minutes to do it properly this way and my signal strength (as measured on my Humax FoxSat PVR) is 95%.

So with the right technique this little gadget did the job perfectly. I only hope that when the time comes for a repeat (the dish has been up for a few years now) I can find it again in all my junk.
11 Comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2009
I purchased one of these (elsewhere) and used it to set up a satellite dish for freesat.
After a little research on the web I found the advice that if you aim your dish to east then slowly turn your dish to the south, the first signal you get is Astra 28.2E. Turn your dish slowly and when you get the highest reading, turn the knob until the pointer is at 5 and keep turning the dish back and forth until you again get the highest reading (if need be, turn the knob down to read 5 again and repeat until the needle will go no higher)then tighten the nut(s) / bolt(s). Do this again but on the vertical adjustment and you are set up nicely.
It took me about 2 minutes to align and on most channels I get 100% on signal strength and quality.
A handy gadget to have that's easy to use.
66 Comments| 291 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2008
I ordered my Konig sat finder from NetGadgets who are family run business so unsurprisingly my order arrived quickly, well packed and was identical to the one i viewed online. It came complete with flylead for easy connection inline between the lnb and sky box (the device is marked up clearly on the back which end goes where). I had watched a few demos on youtube prior to buying one of these and thought how easy it looked and it really is as easy as it looks. I first connected it to the sky box, this was when i realised the display on the meter lights up (note your sky box does not need to be switched on, it just needs to be plugged in to the mains). At this point you can zero in the meter by turning the dial until the needle just about falls to zero and the constant tone you can hear cuts out (if you have ever used a squelch control on a cb radio, well this is just the same). I connected the other end to the lnb and moved the dish up, down, left, right (you know roughly where to aim by looking at your neighbours dish) very slowly until i found the position which gave the highest reading and tightened up the bolts on the bracket taking care that the dish did not move. Its as easy as that if you can fit a normal tv aerial then with the help of one of these you should be able to fit a satellite dish.
0Comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2009
I have a dish that hasn't been used in about 10 years, so when I recently purchased a humax HDR and quad LNB and found the signal not quite strong enough, I needed a sat meter to re-align it. I bought one of these as I had read some good reviews on it. I was a Sky fitter/Senior Engineer for over 10 years so I didn't need the instructions, but I can confirm they are in english, after less than 5 minutes I had the dish re-aligned perfectly. As a bonus this meter also has a TONE indicating the signal level, a lot easier to align a dish with than using the needle scale when up a ladder. The kit also includes a patch lead to connect to the dish. Even if you might not use it again (who knows what storms may come in Winter!) buy one for peace of mind, calling out a technician to do the job would cost over £60!!!
44 Comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 December 2016
I ordered this to setup a freesat system after removing the previous Sky dish several years ago. The item arrived fast and was well packaged.

After setting up the system using this i can say that it is very easy to use and does exactly what we needed. Wind caused our previous dish to go out of alignment every now and then, and we used to pay to get it re-aligned (£40 a time). With this, I can re-align in minutes, very easy. Great little box and will save me a bundle in the long run, great investment.
If you are not in to reading instruction manuals, here's the cut down version:
1) Unscrew your sky cable from the LNB (the bit it goes into in front of the satellite dish)
2) Screw that cable into this box where it says REC (For receiver - the other end of that cable has your sky box/receiver on it)
3) Screw the supplied cable to the LNB end of the box, and then into the space you just took the other cable out of on your dish
4) Turn the wee twisty thingy until you hear the sound, then turn it back so the sound is barely audible (and needle is down at 1ish)
5) Move the dish about until the needle hits 10, and the noise is perfectly audible
6) Fix dish in that position, and unscrew the box and reconnect the cable as it was before you started into the LNB again
7) all done.

Overall I am happy with this item and think it is a very good investment and a handy device to keep in the drawer in case you need it. Paired with some sat finder apps for smart phones it makes finding a specific satellite a simple process. I would purchase again and recommend.
review image review image review image review image
on 3 January 2014
Satellite Finder - Premium Quality / Signal Strength Meter For Positioning Satellite Dish

Turns out there are two flavours of this product... one with patch lead.. the other (the one I purchased) without... Thus the frustration of some users with no patch lead - make sure you order the right one. The instructions in German are a good example of a poor selling approach. In fact the instructions I had incorrectly indicated that the LNB should be connected to both connectors on the unit??? Luckily the unit itself is correctly marked on the rear.

Set up is (as everyone else has pointed out) easy - once you know what you are doing. Bear in mind that the finder can be directly connected to the dish LNB with a short patch lead then to the original connector of the system (that way you don't need two people to make this work). A little pre work will make life easier. If (like me) you like to be sure, than check out where the dish should be pointing by using this calculator [...]

This will give you the elevation (height above the horizon) and azimuth (compass bearing relative to North) that the dish should be directed towards. As far as using the meter:

1. Connect the LNB (satellite dish)to the satellite finder "To LNB" input using a co-ax cable.
2. Connect the receiver (sky box/freesat) to the satellite finder "TO REC" input using the original co-ax cable.
3. Turn on the satellite receiver. The scale of the satellite finder should illuminate.
4. Set the knob on the front of the meter to 5 to start with.
5. Aim the dish at the satellite (use a compass to get things approximately right).
6. Align the dish position elevation and azimuth until you get the highest reading. If the meter exceeds full scale then reduce the gain by turning the knob counter clockwise. Repeat these steps highest signal is achieved.

That should be it. Tighten everything, and enjoy...
on 13 September 2009
This is so easy to use, so simple, so quick even I could use it!
Attach one end, with the supplied piece of cable, to the satellite dish and the other end connects to the cable from your receiver(they are both clearly marked which end is which on the Konig). Turn your receiver on, move the dish roughly in the right direction, the Konig's needle moves across the scale at the same time as a rising tone indicating where the strongest signal is. In a nutshell that is it. Simple.
on 31 January 2012
My decision to buy this satellite finder was based on price and reviews and also because the compact spectrum analyser I would normally use was unavailable and is cumbersome when used up a ladder anyway.

When this arrived I was happy with the look and solidity of it and was all ready to get up and align my new satellite dish antenna. Unfortunately what I didn't see at the time was that the type F sockets thread on the LNB side whilst initially appearing to be ok was actually slightly stripped making tightening of the connector impossible, a manufacturing fault as I've been working with r.f. hardware for a bit over 25 years now and know how to fit most co-axial connectors properly. I would have sent it back but wanted to get the job done on the day so a small amount of copper tape tightly wrapped around the thread allowed me to finish although all the time I was doing the job all I could think of was what a cowboy solution this was and how much I'd mock anyone else for doing it.

The unit did do a good job when I eventually got things connected and back at work I did try replacing the stripped connector, but after I saw how it was bonded together decided that considering the time necessary to get the thing apart and do the repair properly and the replacement cost; buying a replacement was the best option. I will however be closely examining the new one before I discard any packaging.
on 21 November 2016
This arrived boxed and in good time & with a patch lead cable (which i didn't expect) to go from the dish to the sat finder and then from your existing cable feed to your box .. this was easy to use and worked well i was worried it would be a little bit tricky but it was a breeze i installed a satellite dish for my parents and it was spot on after using this sat finder took me about 20 mins form taking it out of the box and setting the ladders up .. i'm going to use it on my existing satellite dish on my house as its been there a few years now and could probably do with realigning as the signal seems to falter at the slightest bit of rain and wind! .. that's my next job when this wind and rain decides to move on !!
Got this cheap little tool for installing a freesat dish. Unfortunately whilst the unit was fine the instructions were in German only. In all fairness finding the info on line wasn't hard, however the instructions should be present.

So, does it work?

The way I did it was to find out on line where the satellite should be for freesat. It's on 28.2 Astra by the way. It's around 148 degrees from magnetic north and at 19 deg elevation.

Firstly it seems that the elevation isn't super critical. Most dishes do allow a fair margin and as we are looking almost flat towards the equator you can start off with the dish vertical.

So with dish vertical and pointing approximately where it should be I plugged in the meter using the 12V from the Humax. You get a small orange light and if you turn the dial all the way clockwise the sound of a bagpiper.

Turn the dial to around 3pm. Move the dish and back and forth until you get the sound at it's highest. I then moved the dish back until the sound was just audible and then turned the dial back a small amount until the sound just went. Once again I turned the dish until the sound peaked. You can keep doing this until it's narrowed right down. Keep and eye on the meter pointer as well.

Once I got the maximum sound in azimuth I then tilted the dish up from horizontal repeating the same process as above until the sound was max.

I guess it's not a sophisticated tool but it does work well for the money. I managed fairly easily to get a near full strength signal on my Humax freesat box using it.

Overall, for the money it's hard to complain about. Apart from the German instructions which knocked a start off.