- Visit our Kodak Store to see the full range of Kodak products.
Kodak Zi8 HD Pocket Video Camera - Black
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Full HD 1080p video with built-in image stabilisation and Smartface tracking technology
- Large, vivid, 2.5 inch LCD and 5MP still camera
- Built-in USB arm for sharing and charging
- Edit and upload to sharing sites like YouTube with built-in software
- Up to 10 hours of HD video with SD/SDHC card slot, memory card required
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Colour Name: Black
What do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
I admit that prior to my search here on Amazon, I wasn't even aware of the flip's spec. When I did look however, I found myself reading reviews of poor video quality, poor audio etc etc. I was disappointed, even though I recognised that the quality produced by these video cameras would not be up to the standard of full camcorders. The Flip Ultra HD was even worse, promising 'ultra' quality, yet only to the same 720p format.
So I started looking at alternatives including the Samsung U10 and Kodak Zi8, both of which make use of SD cards which provide greater flexibility than the internal memory of the flip.
Let me take you through some of the features of the Kodak Zi8;
So I ordered the Kodak and it arrived yesterday. It is around the size of a blackberry, with a nice 2.5" screen. In my opinion at least this definitely makes filming easier. The unit itself is light, and can easily fit in your pocket, however, it is something of a fingerprint magnet.
The audio quality without an external microphone is acceptable, with one better, and video quality in low light conditions is on par for the money that you pay. To ensure the best results you should, as professionals do, concentrate on lighting your subject in effectively. The options to record in WVGA, 720p, 720p 60f/s and 1080p is very useful.
The user interface was simply and intuitive.Read more ›
Comparing them side by side right now, the zi8 records and displays colours much better, where as the zi6 isn't as sharp and has a slight blue tint to it. However neither of these cameras perform great in low lighting. The best feature about the zi8 is the fact you can plug in an external microphone, so you can record crystal clear sound, even though the built in mic is reasonable quality. Also the zi8 will play back sound in its preview mode. One thing the zi6 does better is smooth zooming, whereas the zi8 zooms in block segments. The way the USB connection flicks out on the zi6 is much more slick, than the rubbery styled flick attachment on the zi8, but both do the job fine.
Both cameras are similar size and are great for just carrying around on the go in your pocket. Although I didn't receive any cloth pouch to put my zi8 in, so I would recommend buying one of those to protect the screen & lens. I prefer the rechargeable battery in the zi8, but if it runs out on the go you can't easily replace, unlike with the zi6.
The only thing missing from both these cameras is a flash/light. The zoom feature could also be improved.
The firmware for this product has been update, and the zoom is now smoother. Please read comments for more info.
In the box you get:
- camera (duh)
- charger unit with EU and UK attachments
- lanyard strap
- good easy guide book
- HDMI cable
- normal AV cable
( note the USB is integral to the unit in one of those poppy out things)
- Price. This is a basic, pocket video recorder - at a very competitive price (even at RSP before Amazon's competitive pricing). Be warned though, that you need to set your expectations to that price - it won't match the quality of units that can be many times that price - it's a pocket video camera, not a camcorder.
- It's a nice looking unit. It will fit into a shirt pocket - though you will certainly know it's there due to its weight. Build quality is good. It's about the size of a Blackberry and about one and a half times the depth.
- Video quality at all settings (WVGA, 720p, 720p 60fps, 1080p) is excellent in good lighting. It works best when you are stationery. As with all cameras, the quality is only as good as the lens. The lens on this unit is tiny and it's stunningly good for its size. I found the 720p probably the best in the long run. 1080p is stretching this unit's capability to the max and you will get some noise on it.
- It has a macro setting which is a nice feature to have.
- The battery unit is user replaceable.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
5 stars but this camera died when I jumped in a swimming pool with a pretty lady.
it should have been waterproof, it really wouldnt have cost them much to provide it with a... Read more
A bit out of date now, but what a great camera, now I suppose you can use your iphone and I do, but I still love this.Published 6 months ago by Catalan Waves
Fantastic piece of equipment. I love this! I use it all of the time to capture those very precious moments. Great buy.Published 11 months ago by TheBatman
Very useful for my teaching material and my work portfilo. One wish list on this product to be wireless and light on for Night-vision.Published 17 months ago by B. Carron