on 9 September 2012
I was pretty excited to get this eBook when it was available as a free download from Amazon (£1.95 at the time of writing this review) because I really enjoyed the two other books that I've read from this author, Taking Charge and Strings Attached. The synopsis sounded fantastic (definitely my kind of read) and the main character was called Kate (what a wonderful name) so I couldn't wait to get stuck in!

The very first page had me laughing out loud as Kate struggled with an unfortunate stain on her work jacket. The whole book is written in a comfortable and fun way which made it very easy to read, I felt drawn in by the story, almost like I was a part of it. I did have an idea as to how the story would end but still enjoyed the journey to get to that point, especially with a couple of interesting twists that seemed to complicate everything.

Kate was quite a funny character particularly when she was drunk, at one stage she seemed to have problems in all areas of her life and I did feel quite sorry for her as she struggled to make any kind of decision. Her ex-husband was a real nasty piece of work and I felt a strong dislike towards him, when Kate received a surprise visit from his new girlfriend things really got vicious (this was definitely a gasp out loud moment!)

Hermione was a lovely character, she was a little bit crazy but a very good friend to Kate and had some very wise words to share with her.

Joel was fabulous, he had a bit of emotional baggage but was absolutely adorable, sweet and caring, not to mention gorgeous! At one point in the story, however, I wasn't too keen on him or his behaviour but I won't say why, you'll just have to find out for yourself!

One of my favourite moments in the book was during the game show when all hell broke loose, I could picture the scene of chaos in my mind and couldn't stop giggling, particularly at the wig part - again I will say no more!

This was a brilliant read that I just couldn't put down, another hit from Mandy Baggot!
on 12 September 2012
I enjoyed this story. Well written with an interesting plot. Was amusing in places and made me think in others. I am a single mother too so the story line gripped my attention because of this in the first place.

Entertaining - kind of like a good old soppy chick flick - which for me was a good thing.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 September 2011
Knowing Me Knowing you is the second book I have read by Mandy Baggot. The previous book Breaking the Ice was an enjoyable read but in my opinion after reading Knowing Me Knowing you this book is on a totally different level.

Our leading lady in this book is Kate who is an easy character to warm. After just a couple of chapters we realise how hard Kate is finding juggling her work with looking after her daughter and getting over her ex-husband so from the start of this book you cannot help but sympathise with her character. Baggot gives us enough information to set the scene for this characters background with out over doing it and making it a chore to read. Kate story starts to unwind as we read on through the book until it is time to see if she can turn her life around and start enjoying and living life again.

Having just read what I have written so far about my opinion for this book it sounds as though this is a really deep and meaningful book which is true but it doesn't feel like that when you are reading this book as there is a large amount of humour in this book to which manages to keep the book on a light hearted track. I mean who has ever known an author start a book with the first line "bird poo and porridge were basically one and the same thing"!.

How can I review this book without mentioning the best part and that is Joel.When we are first introduced to Joel via the escort agency I was sure he was going to be a sleaze ball but that couldn't be further from the truth. I think Joel is every woman's ideal man and his character had to be my favourite!

It was a pleasure to read this book and see how Mandy Baggot is growing as an author, there is clearly a different style of writing in this book compared to Breaking the Ice, and she manages to keep you interested all the way through the book. The only downside to this book is the cover, this is defiantly one of these books where the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover " comes to mind.
on 4 August 2012
This novel started off well. Good pace and a fun plot. The reader was soon swept up into the angst of Kate whose husband one day ups and leaves. Suddenly single, Kate has to raise a small child and juggle money worries with a return to work. The reader can easily identify with the main character's emotions - which are running high. I won't spoil things by mentioning what happens next, other than that there is a shift in Kate's luck and along comes Joel - who is naturally the gorgeous hero and quite rightly so. I loved this book all the way up to realising that Kate was quite probably a borderline alcoholic and Joel went on to do something extremely unheroic...he publicly humiliated another woman. Okay, the woman was most unpleasant, but by this point the whole storyline had descended into a rather chavtastic state of affairs which, for me, spoilt the overall read.
on 25 September 2017
The most boring and childish book I have ever read. Heroine was a pathetic weakling and the whole book was just incredibly slow and lacking debth. Very much struggled to get through the book and I skipped a LOT of pages to get to the end. If not for my OCD I would not have finished it at all. Very disappointed! If possible. If possible would have given 0 stars!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 May 2017
I couldn't put this book down - a great read!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 May 2012
This is the first book I've read by Mandy Baggot and I have to say, I'll be reading more by this author.

Her portrayal of Kate - a single mother raising a young daughter after her husband left her - tugs at your heartstrings. She struggles from day to day to get through both financially and emotionally.

Things get dicey for Kate when she hires an escort (Joel) to take her to a company function. She doesn't want another relationship at this time but gradually as she begins to know him, she lets her guard down.

Mandy has you wanting Kate and Joel to get together and uses the cast of supporting characters to that end quite skillfully. Hermoine - Kate's childminder, Lynn - Kate's secretary.

I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.
on 23 September 2012
Kate is a single mum, trying to keep things together since the divorce, but feeling very inadequate. Her company is hosting an annual dinner and she needs to have a male partner to go; so a friend recommends an escort agency. But on the night, she finds that she and her new "date" are going to be contestants on television show; and her life begins to rapidly spiral out of control.

This is the second book that I've read by Mandy Baggot and I really like her style of writing; humourous, tongue in cheek, just a touch bawdy. Her characters are really well developed over the course of the book and they are all slightly flawed in one way or another; essentially real life people in situations that most people could relate to, wrapped up in a solid plot.

It is a little bit "chick lit", but don't let that put you off; this is a well written, carefully thought out storyline with some really interesting points to make. There are a lot of people just like Kate out there; it's perhaps a bit sobering to think just how many. I'm sure that many of those would understand the pressures and pain that come from trying to cope with the realities of modern life as a single parent.

I really enjoyed the story and would be more than happy to recommend it for most adults or older teenagers; I'm going to be watching out for more books by this author.
on 9 July 2012
Ok, there are plenty of reviews on here that tell you what the book is about, all I really want to say it that this book had me Laughing out Load, if the neighbours heard me they must have thought i was loopy! This is a very easy read and I couldn't put it down, it is fun and simple and pure genius on the authors part, she knew how to get me hooked anyway! If you don't like it then you don't have a sense of humour, I loved it and can't wait to read more from Mandy Baggot.
on 12 April 2012
This is a fun read when you want something light and entertaining and I did get caught up in the plot and want to know how things ended so it was a bit of a page turner for me too. This is the first book I have read from this author and I would be happy to read another. Four stars because the characters seemed to be either all good qualities or all bad - but at least you knew who you were rooting for.