Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 11 June 2017
Having previously read and enjoyed Know Your Cattle, I was excited to read this one. A visit to Slimbridge Wildlife and Wetlands Trust had got me in the mood to read more about ducks, and so I eagerly sat down to read this book in a single setting.

Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. I appreciate that a book this small can’t possibly feature every duck, but there’s no real rhyme or reason to how the ducks in this book were chosen. Some are wild, others are domestic; some you’d never see in Britain, whilst other common ducks from our shores are left out.

Whilst there are a few interesting facts in the text, there are enough typos to make me suspect that it has neither been proofread nor spellchecked. I’m not a duck expert, but I spotted at least one inaccuracy – according to Slimbridge, mandarin ducks don’t actually mate for life.

Each duck featured in the book also has a photograph to go with its description, but again, these are disappointing. The photos are often of resolution, and in many cases where the sexes differ, only the male is pictured. This means we have to resort to a short text description of the female’s appearance. Given that the layout of the pages has a lot of wasted space, a bit of rearrangement would have allowed for better photos of breeding pairs, or one photo each for a male and female.
on 25 August 2015
Excellent.
on 22 June 2015
very usefull
on 19 November 2011
Very informative- can put a name to the ducks now. Except l think most of mine have now cross-bred.
Good for reference.
on 15 December 2014
All good
on 19 May 2012
As a useful guide to identifying British breeds it falls well short. The mix of domestic and wild breeds is unusual (most guides would only include the wild birds) and therefore would be useful, if, it was comprehensive, unfortunately, it's not. Not all breeds likely to been seen in Britain are included yet it does include many wild species that are very unlikely to be.
I would not recommend this book to anyone looking for a guide.