Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 June 2017
Lovely set of animal patterns but quite tricky to make. The sewing up has to be neat to get the right effect.I expected this as I have previously had 'Best in Show'.
on 27 April 2017
It is ok but some of the way the patterns are sewn together is a bit confusing and look odd.
on 28 July 2017
Fabulous book. Bought this to knit the animals for my grand children. They love them.
on 17 March 2017
My mother was happy with this gift, As she loves knitting things for the grandchildren
on 29 July 2017
Really lovely pattern, great value, recommend.
on 23 October 2013
It's tough being a knitter who wants to share, when the shops have such great chunky hand-made-looking jumpers on sale for less than it costs to make at home. But you can still wow your friends and family if you get creative. I'm always looking for ideas for mad wool-based projects and this book is stuffed with them.
The patterns are enchanting - from the Giant Anteater to the irresistible Meercat family the animals are uncanny tiny likenesses with a wooly twist. Ideal for crafty presents and if you think your loved ones are too sophisticated to love a knitted creature just whisk up the Fruit Bat. Guaranteed showstopper. Even teenage boys want one to dangle from their bedroom light.
And unlike chunky jumpers, these little creatures can be made at home for a fraction of the price of similar cute craftworks found in galleries and Interiors shops, so you can still enjoy that traditional smug knitter's warm glow when you see big price tags.
These patterns are not for raw beginners, they are small, but also pretty intricate (the armadillo has different stitch patterns on his body, legs and tail for starters) which makes them a lot of fun for anyone who enjoys a bit of a challenge.
The witty text packed with whimsical facts about the animals makes it entertaining to read as well, which isn't something you find in your average knitting book!
on 1 January 2014
Wanted a pattern for a bat, this was the first book I had seen with a bat. It was not difficult to knit, but felt the instructions for making up were limited. Had difficulty getting the arms and wings correct, an inexperienced knitter would struggle.
on 26 October 2013
Once you've seen the knitted urangutan it is hard to imagine anything else you want to have for Christmas. Then you see the armadillo and the meerkat and it gets really tough. I find this book inspiring, funny and utterly charming. Can't wait to get going....
on 28 November 2013
The book arrived very promptly and I have already knitted the elephant and panda which were very enthusiastically received by the recipients. Although I would consider myself an accomplished knitter I have found the Americanized instructions a little unusual, 'bind off for cast off' and I have found the meercat tricky but I will have another go. As stated in the book these are not toys and the fillings, pipe cleaners and lentils to stiffen out the stuffings mean that they are probably not washable.
on 4 June 2014
I was given this book by my mother, when I was laid up for a few weeks following a foot operation. The photos are amazing and I didn't know where to start! I began with the bear which was described as one of the easier animals to knit, and then did the camel. Both were successful although I did find certain aspects very tricky - for instance, how do you cast on at the end of a row? (I got round this by casting on at the beginning of the next one instead). And it was difficult to get the animals to stand up - pipecleaners and stuffing were tricky to get right! however I persevered and managed to get them to stand up after a fashion. Now I am knitting the lion and to my annoyance, there is a typo all the way through the pattern, relating to the wool colour (ca instead of ta). That is OK once you get used to it, but the most disappointing thing is that I have already run out of wool. The pattern states that it uses 45g, but I have already used a 50g ball and have hardly started on the head and neck - despite using exactly the wool specified. it's a shame that now I will have to buy more and run the risk of the shade not being the same. All this said, I still like the book very much and will definitely carry on knitting.