on 19 January 2014
I bought this as a gift for my girlfriend who is just getting into sweet making. Previously she had experienced a split batch of marshmallow and a couple of burnt attempts at toffee. Since I gave her the thermometer spoon she had been able to accurately measure the temperature of her mixes and I have been treated to a steady supply of sweet treats :)

The design of the spoon keeps the probe away from the pan so the temperature reading is accurate to the mixture not the base of the pan.

The display has good contrast and the large digits are easy to read.

The probe can be removed for cleaning or to use as cake thermometer or any other application where a longer thermometer is required.

Considering the cost of ingredients and the likelihood of failure and disappointment through guestimating temperatures I rate this as a super buy.
on 6 November 2013
This is fantastic - don't know how we managed to make jam etc for over 50 years with just a metal one which kept falling in the hot jam - and it gives both c & f degrees of temperature - we have just made over 100 jars of various jams and jellies and wouldnt be without our "new Spoon" now.
This spoon is a delight to use when making any sort of jam. So much nicer than having some gawky metal thermometer which gets in the way or a wooden spoon which harbours germs and is difficult to clean. Well worth the extra money. A real breakthrough in the home conserve industry this!
on 3 April 2015
I just tried this last night when sterlizing some milk. The (yoghurt) recipe called for me to raise the temperature of the milk above 90C and hold it there for 15 minutes, while stirring continuously. In the past I've done the stirring with a wooden spoon in one hand while holding a thermapen with the other. Lots of annoyances doing it that way - I knock the thermapen with my spoon, my temperature hand gets parboiled in the steam, and the thermapen switches itself off every few minutes. The task is SO much more pleasant with this thermo spoon!

Also, the spoon itself seems to be made of a stiff silicone formulation, and feels impressively robust - almost tough enough to dig holes in your garden lawn, it's certainly capable of stirring the stiffest of fudges!

I'm very pleased. Get one!

[Edit 4th Nov 2015] I am reducing my review rating from 5 stars to 3 after discovering that this thermo spoon has a tendency to lock up (software freeze) while in use. The problem is actually quite reproducable: I was heating up a fudge mixture in the microwave, taking the bowl out every now and then to stir and check the temperature. Except the display kept getting stuck on a reading, it wouldn't even switch off, I had to poke a pin though the small "reset" hole in order to get it working again. It has done this several times in a one hour session. I am a professional programmer myself, and from these symptoms I suspect that the firmware doesn't like it if the temperature ramps up too quickly. I'll make a wild guess that it's averaging the last N readings, and the lockup occurs if the range of readings over that N is too high. Very disappointing, as it means that the thermometer part can't be relied on at crucial moments. However it is still preferable to two-handed operation with a thermapen.

[Edit 17th May 2016] My thermo spoon is no more. It is an ex thermo spoon. It snapped in two halfway up the handle while I was attempting to mix bread dough. So, I got a bit more than a year out of it. At least I can answer a question about the material that I raised in my review: the interior is a kind of brittle plastic, only the outer coating is silicone. I am left disappointed - that early feeling of quality has turned out to be an illusion. I am now looking for a different thermo spoon.
on 30 October 2014
I have a normal thermometer without a spoon but one has to be holding a wooden spoon in one hand and the thermometer in the other so it is quite bothersome. With this one you have both in one. I haven’t used it much yet but I have tried it on boiling water and it did work. I have also made caramel with it but for that purpose you can better use it without the spoon. All in all I think that it is a good buy and not more expensive than buying a separate thermometer.
on 2 May 2013
Great spoon. Easy to read temp. Easy to clean. Useful in cooking anything to the correct temperature and without out the fuss of taking the thermometer out to read.
on 21 March 2015
Works very well. The spoon needs to be used in at least two cm of liquid for the point to be submerged, so I have had to tip a pan of sugar syrup on one side if only making a small amount, but that works fine. but that works fine. Only quibble is that the the thermometer only fits in the spoon one way so that the numbers are a lot easier to read if you are right-handed. I am left-handed, so have to hold the spoon a bit awkwardly in my right hand to see the numbers easily.
on 6 January 2015
Wanted an easy way of making sweets and the like and liked the idea of a combined spoon and thermometer. The spoon worked really well for making fudge, easy to read temperature, up to the point when I had to beat the mix whilst it cooled. The only downside is that for beating fudge, the spoon was not really quite up to it and I was concerned about damaging the spoon and probe. That said, a cheap wooden or plastic spoon is easily substituted once the required temperature is reached.
on 21 January 2015
Have used this for the first time on this year's batch of marmalade. It is a great buy; it is so much less fiddly than just a wooden spoon and a regular thermometer and knocks the socks off a row of saucers in the freezer! I will be recommending this to any of my friend who make their own jams and preserves.
on 1 July 2014
I brought this a while ago and it functions very well. It also has smart aesthetics and the soft feel makes it good to use. Very accurate readings as well - would recommend strongly