Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 26 April 2002
This is the most enjoyable book I have read in a long while. Roald Dahl has a talent for writing original short stories, incorporating hints of subtle horror, humour and unexpected twists in each. Tales such as 'The Way up to Heaven' and 'William and Mary' are quite eerie but this is all part of the fun. Although you come to expect a twist towards the end of each story, they are not always obvious (the ending to the story 'Pig' was extremely suprising!) If you haven't read this, you're missing out on a group of thoroughly interesting and addictive stories.
on 29 February 2016
Dahl at his best is a master of subtle implication, 'show not tell,' allowing the reader to draw inferences that he or she might find macabre, or at least, uncomfortable. My favourite tale, 'The Landlady', is a classic example of this kind of understated horror, when the landlady of the title says," I stuff all my little pets myself when they pass away. Will you have another cup of tea?" At this point it has just dawned on the reader precisely what is going on in this story. The other better stories are about how adults punish or play tricks on each other, often for revenge or to change the power balance in a couple's relationship. 'Mrs Bixby and the Colonel's Coat' is a deliciously neat example of this, and the one with 'Heaven' in the title.. Other stories are really morality tales against greed, where greedy individuals get their come-uppance. They can be reminiscent of the original versions of the gorier classic children's fairy tales by Grimm or Anderson, the versions before they got sanitised by a certain American film company. Into this category come 'Parson's Pleasure' - where Dahl takes the reader away just when he or she would want to know the protagonists's reaction - and 'The Champion of the World' . The latter is hilariously farcical at the end. However other stories were less satisfying. 'William and Mary' is just plain bizarre and the idea behind 'Pig' is really not that original. 'Georgy Porgy' made me think of the Robert Aickman story 'Niemandswasser' and Freudian mother-complexes, and my reaction to 'Royal Jelly' was. 'so what?' This book is a real mix.
on 29 July 2016
This is a collection of adult short stories by Roald Dahl, and is the second adult collection I have read by him, the first being Someone Like You. I enjoyed this one much more and found it a much more entertaining and darker read.

As with any short story collection, there were some stories I loved and others that struggled to capture my attention. For the most part there were definitely more that I enjoyed than didn't though, and of those that I did like, I would say I actually loved the vast majority. I love how much darker the stories were in this, and twisted. In this collection Roald Dahl definitely went all out and let loose with the darker themes, not caring about the shock factor and the gruesomeness. That said, the stories aren't gruesome in the kind of way where you need to avoid them for graphic content, and instead just more gruesome in a general way.

I'd say the only thing that let this collection down for me, was the predictability. I actually correctly predicted the twists and outcomes in several of the stories. Overall though, this is a solid collection and well worth picking up if you are wanting to try out some of his adult content.
on 8 June 2016
Amusing twist stories but as they have entered popular culture the majority of the twists are probably already known to you or are easy to guess (but that may be the skill of a master story teller letting you guess just before being told).

I was slightly annoyed that the last story is basically an abridged Danny Champion of the World with the names americanised.
on 12 November 2010
I first read Kiss Kiss over forty years ago but when I read it again recently it was as enjoyable as the first time. After all the kids' stuff that he wrote later, it is easy to forget what a good writer of adult books Dahl was.
on 1 March 2009
A great book of short stories, each one captures your imagination and keeps you guessing right to the end and beyond. Fantastic reading!
on 14 August 2000
Perverse, inventive and often downright morbid, kiss kiss will be a shock to those only ingratiated with the (rather brilliant) children's stories. Yes, it is true that after reading a few of these tales, the end twist becomes somewhat of an enevitability, but the sheer dynamism and imagination of Dahl's storytelling remains intoxicating.The truly scary William and Mary in particular is a story that will remain with me forever All in all, a sick, frieghtening and thoughourly brilliant collection of tales, from an author who must now be recognised as the greatest short-story writer of a generation.
on 23 February 2014
I was Fully absorbed in each story within few paragraphs. The way it was written and how it caused the story to unfold to me, so quickly, was just as entertaining as the content. it definitly in english to answer the reviewer who gave 1 star. Gets your heart going a little but nothing to give u nightmares.
on 16 June 2014
I felt that this book was disappointing. I remember being scared to death and disturbed by The Tales of the Unexpected on the television. Not this book it seemed really familiar and each story a little predictable. Didn't like the people in it and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Not my cup of tea at all!
on 25 October 2003
This is the first book I read for Roald Dahl ,some of my friends have recommended his works for me and gave me this book along with Switch Bitch ,I have begun with Kiss Kiss , and I was totally amazed .
Once you got passed the shallow introduction story (The Landlady) you will be faced with some of the most funniest and dare I say hilarious short stories ever written ,this collection includes some masterpieces which is (William and Mary) ,( Mrs Bixby and the Colonel's hat ) and the mind blowing (Parson's pleasure) , there are some very good ones like (The way Up to Heaven) ,(Edward the Conqueror) and (Pig) ,the remaining stories are also very entertaining but they can not be comparable to the rest mentioned above .
Dahl's writings are not only about the sarcasm sense and funny situations ,actually the greatness of his writings comes from his extraordinary ability to explore the human nature ,and give us a glimpse about the weird nature which is existing deep inside every human being ,this collection deals with many aspects of the human behavior ranging from the FAKE socially civilized appearance to the bottom of the most disgusting characters you are likely to meet ,but the craft of Dahl is to make you sure that the both sides are actually equal ,and once you have picked this collection you will be hooked and you will ask for more ,luckily I have (Switch Bitch) collection and I am going to read it instantly .