on 19 April 2004
'Kiss Me Softly Amy Turtle' - is truly the most humorous book I have read since 'Surviving Sting' (also by Paul McDonald) which was the most humorous book I had read since anything by Tom Sharpe. I am rubbish at reading humour but I love Paul's work. I was born in what is now the tourist cobbled streets of 'The Jewellery Quarter' - back then (1963) it was the slummy heart of Brum! I recognise so much of what is depicted about Midland life and I have howled with tears carrying the mascara down my face at the language used and scenarios created - it has been years since I heard the phrase 'Ace-a-mundo.' I have had this novel on pre-order with Trindal Street Press for ages and believe me it has been worth every minute of the wait. If you need a good laugh and a reminisce about life in the late 70s/early 80's GO & BUY THIS BOOK!
on 9 May 2007
I bought this book when it was first out and it ended up in the back of a cupboard. When I found it the other day, I already knew I was in for a treat as I've read another Paul McDonald title, Surviving Sting.

This was even better! I read it in two nights and got some very funny looks from people when I was laughing out loud. Paul has a special talent that eludes many writers - he writes ridiculously observant comedy, whilst maintaining a sense of realism in fantastical situations (people who've read the book will know exactly what I mean...)

I can only give this book full marks and fingers crossed there will be a lot more to come from Paul in the future.
on 18 December 2010
I came to this book after reading the brilliant, 'Do I Love You?, and I wasn't disappointed. Like the latter it is incredibly fast moving, with a genius plot. This guy really does write like a dream: he's by far my favourite comic author. It's been two years since his last novel, let's hope it's not too much longer before another arrives.