on 15 October 2016
I don't often read the autobiographies of the 'rich/famous' as many have simply become egotistical money-making forums (*how do you have an interesting biography at the age of 20, unless you are possessed of a truly miraculous life?). But there are some that are wonderful - Andre Agassi's 'Open' was one (even though I don't play tennis!) and Gene's book is another.

He shares his life with you as if you are sitting in a lovely coffee shop on a beautiful embankment somewhere, and he tells it with a gentle humility. He is truthful about people whilst still being respectful of them - and so he is gently truthful of his relationship with Richard Pryor, whilst being understanding of the demons Richard faced. Whilst covering his career, it is a book that moves between the important women in his life - I suspect because although he appeared in and also wrote so many amazing things and met so many amazing people, it was a profession to him where when one thing had completed he was simply looking foray towards the next thing.

It also covers the period cancer touched his life and those of the people he loved, and you read the book thinking he was 'probably' a pretty nice person ...my only concern was the volume of ladies, and a wonder that if their side was heard did he simply get bored and move on from them, or where some of them as he portrayed - where he was living with them and their demons.

I read the book following Gene's death feeling although I'd watched and enjoyed many of his films, I didn't really know anything about him. Now I feel like I'm saying goodbye to a new friend. A very good read. Rest in Peace, Gene Wilder.
on 4 September 2016
I read this because gene wilder has just died, I wish I'd read it before I hope and pray he didn't suffer at his passing a sad loss to the world goodnight Willie wonka xx
on 26 December 2013
Gene Wilder is one of my comic acting heroes and I feel that I've grown to know him a little more through this excellent and candid memoir. My on,y real criticism is that he does not go into enough details when his professional life really took off and I would have loved to have known far more details within his acting and writing, especially Young Framkenstein! Delightfully easy to read, like an old friend whom even though you don't see for ages you simply take up exactly where you left off in such a familiar fashion. Kismet,like,a stranger...
on 24 May 2017
A touching read from the much-missed great Gene Wilder
on 29 April 2017
Excellent book
on 25 September 2016
I read this book after his passing. It is certainly different to many similar books I have read but I absolutely loved it-he may have been a very funnyman on screen but could be very serious off it. A delightful book dipping in and out of his life at different stages of it-the films the ladies etc etc;the tragedy of Gilda and his finally long term happiness with 4th wife Karen-25 years until his passing. I have just seen on You Tube an appearance on Parkinson 9 years ago- well worth a look. Like everyone one of us he had his failings which is very honest about indeed.His own battle with cancer and also members of his family. I totally loved Willie Wonka and all the other characters he played. I ended reading the book liking the man very much indeed.I am now reading it for the second time. Most highly recommended. A life well lived and also well loved. RIP.
on 13 November 2016