Customer reviews

Kiss Me Like a Stranger: My Search for Love and Art
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 October 2016
I don't often read the autobiographies of the 'rich/famous' as many have simply become egotistical money-making forums (*how do you have an interesting biography at the age of 20, unless you are possessed of a truly miraculous life?). But there are some that are wonderful - Andre Agassi's 'Open' was one (even though I don't play tennis!) and Gene's book is another.

He shares his life with you as if you are sitting in a lovely coffee shop on a beautiful embankment somewhere, and he tells it with a gentle humility. He is truthful about people whilst still being respectful of them - and so he is gently truthful of his relationship with Richard Pryor, whilst being understanding of the demons Richard faced. Whilst covering his career, it is a book that also moves between the important women in his life - I suspect because (although he appeared in and also wrote so many amazing things and met so many amazing people) it was a profession to him where when one thing had completed he was simply looking forward towards the next thing.

It also covers the period cancer touched his life and those of the people he loved, and you read the book thinking he was 'probably' a pretty nice person ...my only concern was the volume of ladies, and a wonder that if their side was heard did he simply get bored and move on from them, or were some of them as he portrayed - where he was living with them and their demons.

I read the book following Gene's death feeling although I'd watched and enjoyed many of his films, I didn't really know anything about him. Now I feel like I'm saying goodbye to a new friend. A very good read. Rest in Peace, Gene Wilder.
on 2 October 2017
I have always been a fan of Gene Wilder. His performances in some of his films are the kind that stay with you. Comedy genius but with depth and perhaps hint of vulnerability.
This is how he portrays himself in this biography.
It's an interesting read and written in a unique style that flows.
Despite brutal honesty at times, and when it comes to telling us about the films that made him an iconic figure I was left feeling like he was holding back in that area. I just feel sure that there was more to tell.
Regardless of this, it is a good account of a remarkable, creative life and the family he shared it with.
Worth the money.
RIP GW
on 11 March 2018
Once I started reading this, I couldn't stop. Wilder is witty, engaging and honest. He writes in a way that makes you wish you could sit down for a chat with him because you know these stories are only the tip of the iceberg. I can't recommend this book enough.
on 26 December 2013
Gene Wilder is one of my comic acting heroes and I feel that I've grown to know him a little more through this excellent and candid memoir. My on,y real criticism is that he does not go into enough details when his professional life really took off and I would have loved to have known far more details within his acting and writing, especially Young Framkenstein! Delightfully easy to read, like an old friend whom even though you don't see for ages you simply take up exactly where you left off in such a familiar fashion. Kismet,like,a stranger...
on 4 September 2016
I read this because gene wilder has just died, I wish I'd read it before I hope and pray he didn't suffer at his passing a sad loss to the world goodnight Willie wonka xx
on 24 May 2017
A touching read from the much-missed great Gene Wilder
on 28 January 2017
I really liked Gene Wilder as an actor and writer.......a unique talent, but I found this book a bit lacking.

It's a good enough read, but at just over 250 pages I just wish it was twice as long with more detail about his life and experiences.
on 4 December 2014
I did like this book. I couldn't shake the feeling that not all of it was written by Gene though. It just didn't really sound like him to me. An interesting read though, and quick to get through.
on 19 October 2016
Just started reading this book, excellent so far, Thank you.
on 10 September 2016
Super purchase - just love it.