on 19 February 2015
This is a BIG handbag. The largest section can just about hold my 12 inch laptop. It doesn't look too big though, and has lots of organisation built in.

The big main section has a double zip fastening. That means you can close it at either end, or at some point in between. Therefore it doesn't matter which shoulder you carry it on, the closure doesn't have to be behind you - unless you want it to be. This section is big enough to carry my folded up fleece, or two summer weight cardigans. I know that because I used it on holiday last year for exactly that. Inside, there are a few drop pockets on one side and a zipped purse pocket on the other. The drop pockets are good for your phone or music player, and my new money purse gets swamped with the size of the purse pocket.

On the back of the bag is a flat zipped pocket more than big enough to take my kindle, while on the front there are two chunkier zipped pockets. I keep a small camera in one, while the other usually holds a small torch and an onya shopping bag. On the front of each of these pockets is a smaller flat pocket, one with a diagonal zip, and one secured with a velcro flap. These are good for tickets and the like.

You may think that would be all the pockets you could fit in a bag, but there are two more which are easy to miss. On the ends of the bag, just underneath the loops for the long strap, there are two pockets secured with velcro. You might not think they are very big, but my 5 inch phone fits in there nicely. I could imagine they would also be good for holding a compact brolly.
44 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 February 2016
Whats not to like about a Kipling Defea... All good.. Great colour Purple Shades.. Very happy..
review image
on 19 April 2017
This is my 3rd Defea as I love the different pockets and the bigger size means I have room for gloves ,scarf, sunglasses etc so I don't get caught out with the ever changing weather
on 11 September 2015
Be aware that this shoulderbag is a little on the large size and would make a great weekend or overnight holdall. That said, it's not so big that it can't be carried on your shoulder if, like me, you like to have lots of bits and pieces on your person for that 'just in case' moment! The top handles are stitched with leather making it comfortable to carry as a handbag, if you prefer. Really handy for mums with toddlers and for students as the main compartment will fit just about anything from bottles, to toys, to books, to tablets and even a small macbook. Personally, I like to keep organised and so bought it for all the handy pockets. I love the yellow ochre 'golden sunflower' colour too. It's a lovely warm, bright mustard yellow, only a shade darker than the picture and I was surprised by one reviewers reaction to it. The little golden monkey is always a welcome addition and so overall I'm delighted with this product, as I favour all things Kipling.
on 31 August 2016
So far so good. Very spacious and easy to arrange my bits and pieces - and crucially to find my stuff in a hurry - because the pockets look different, and there are so many of them. The bag is lightweight and easily carried - I carry it on my shoulder with the shorter straps only. I have been addicted to a lifelong search to find the "right" bag for my needs, and have bought many to date. I'm sure I will again, but I must say I haven't looked at another bag since I got this one. Originally I would only buy leather bags but the additional weight of the bag combined with everything I put in it has well and truly put me off leather when choosing an everyday bag. I only use a very small leather bag now for one-off occasions - this Kipling is a workhorse and less of a decorative accessory! It looks like it will last me a very long time and to date I will be happy to continue using it for as long as it is serviceable.
on 12 January 2018
My favourite style of Kipling bag, plenty of room for everything including my lunchbox and umbrella. The front pockets are great for phone, charger, headphones, makeup and tickets. The back pocket I use for easy access to my keys, although there is a clip for keys inside the main bag. The extendable strap is great for wearing the bag across the body for those times when you need your hands free. Although it says wipe clean only I have washed mine (removing the monkey key ring first), the colour didn’t fade or crease.
on 17 July 2015
As a confirmed Kipling addict - I have to say that the Defea is my all time favourite, For those out there who do not own a Defea, this is a large bag - with a capacious middle pocket. Huge advantage of this style of bag is the double zipper on the main pocket, Really easy to open one-handed. In the main pocket I have a mini leather filofax, a medium creativity make-up bag (full), a New Money purse and a foldaway shopping bag. There is still bags of space. It has an internal zipped pocket which holds my cheque book (full length) and a mirror, Then I have phone in the drop pocket and the other drop pocket has lippy, hand gel and small tube of moisturiser. On to the front pockets - they hold a packet of tissues and an inhaler. The other pocket has more small toiletries. I don't use the two side velcro pockets, to be honest but they would take a pack of tissues/ travel pass. There's also the invaluable key clip, Blurred lines is a really versatile colour. My only (teensy) niggle would be the colour contrasting straps are really light coloured (cafe late or similar) so are prone to showing dirt marks. However, as with most kipling - washable/ wipeable. If I'd been a Kipling fan years ago - I'd have wanted this for a baby bag on a trip out. Enjoy!
on 1 April 2017
Loved this bag when I have seen it in the shops. Nylon with padding which is not too heavy a bonus for me. Very spacious with many/enough pockets. I don't know what to do with space to be honest. I am sure I will find stuff to fill it with. WHAT I REALLY LOVE about the bag is that is so body wearable, Two shoulder straps comfortable over your shoulder or with the long strap wear across your body, so hands free.
on 20 July 2017
I love this bag! This is not my first Defea bag. I have used my first Defea as my everyday bag for two and a half years and it just does not wear out. I bought this one to have a change of colour. I have just bought the "City Highlight" design and it will go with a variety of colours and I think it is not too jazzy. I am very hard on handbags - put a lot in them - and previous brands I bought ones were wearing out in just a few weeks. This makes my Kipling bags excellent value for money. I now own several styles and have bought them all at reduced prices and am a huge Kipling fan. I like the fact that the Defea can go over my shoulder and across the body for security. It might be too big for some, but when you always seem to need lots of stuff, it's ideal.
on 6 January 2016
My first Kipling bag (that has already led to another bag and x2 purses!). I needed a bag for work which would fit in usual bag bits as well as my Crockpot lunch warmer or a lunchbox. I've been making do with a smaller bag and a carrier bag for the lunch bits but as I often need to use a walking stick this can sometimes be tricky. This one fits the bill brilliantly, lots of pockets to keep me organised and main body of bag takes my lunch bits no problem. I got it in the violet shades colour which is lovely and has drawn comments from colleagues, many of whom are Kipling fans I've since found out by having this bag!