on 13 April 2011
Kipling Women's Reth Shoulder BagThis is my third Kipling bag. I have the Fundi waistbag and the Defea which I absolutely love. When I saw the Reth for only £22 on Amazon I couldn't believe my eyes. It would have been a crime for any Kipling fan not to buy it at this price!Ordered late evening 11th April, arrived on my doorstep 13th April.Fantastic service from Amazon's free Super Saver delivery (well done Amazon). This bag has been described as large and bulky on some reviews I have read on other sites. But when it arrived it wasn't as bulky as I had feared. It is a happy medium sized bag that holds alot. As well as the usual paraphernalia we ladies carry, you can fit a litre bottle of water (or a bottle of wine!) in the Reth no problem and still have bags of space. One thing to note is that the zipped openings to the two main compartments do not open very wide. This can make inserting bulky or rectangular items such as a big thick paperback difficult.Apart from that it's a great everyday bag. TIP- when searching for a Kipling bag on Amazon also filter your search by price range too, as very often the same model bag has many different prices.Also the prices often change frequently so it's worth checking every day. Now and again an absolute bargain crops up.Though I must admit it's getting rarer now!

I also have a 'Lacquered Bronze' Reth. It is stunning and looks far more posher and expensive than a normal Reth. It also has a thicker feel than the usual nylon. Feels ever so slightly like rubber, rain runs off like a duck's back.The lining is a black and brown print, not the usual pale grey and the furry monkey has a shiny face with no painted eyes. Poor thing!Apart from that it has all the regular feature of a Reth.

I hope this review helps fellow Kipling bag fans!
44 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2014
I was very impressed with the practicality of my first Kipling bag Defea, I wanted to buy myself another Kipling. And this time, I wanted something
1) a tad smaller as I found Defea a little bit too big for nipping-outs
2) across body with no handles flapping around and
3) lots of compartments.

Reth seemed to tick all the boxes so I ordered it in Port Red as it was offered at a good price (less than 30!).
Since receiving the item, I have used it every day - so happy I got this bag.

About the colour - Port Red in reality is deep dull-ish burgundy. Not exactly the same colour as the Amazon image on my screen which looks kind of whitewashed (but then, I understand that it could be a system/display thing, so no complaints there).
It goes nicely with black or brown, or, with jeans - great :) !

About the bag itself - 2 main compartments, a big front pocket and the usual back pocket.
To give you an idea of size, in the main compartment (which also has zip pocket and a key fob) I can fit in a big purse, personal organizer, ipod touch, small hairbrush and a digital camera plus a bunch of keys on the fob and a couple of lipsticks in the pocket.
In the sub main, a small notebook, small towel, hair clip and hand gel. In the front pocket where there's a slip-in mobile pocket and one pen holder, I can fit a mobile and 2 pairs of glasses.

As the bag itself is light-weight and because you can wear it across your body, carrying all this doesn't weigh you down like other bags do!

Just one thing to mention, though. Like some other reviewers said, the material of the bag did feel a bit on the rough/ coarse side compared with my Defea... and that did initially worry me as I was told that there are a lot of Kipling copies around.
However, I can see on Kipling's official website that they have made some changes to the inside material (it used to be plain like it is with my Defea, but now it's dotted like the Reth I received), so maybe they did something with the outside material as well?
Or, it could simply be the case of initial stiffness, and soften up with use. I suppose it's not fair to compare the softness of a heavily-used-for-a-year bag to that of a brand new one.

Anyway, I AM happy with my purchase and would recommend Reth to anyone looking for a casual and practical medium-sized bag!
on 13 October 2011
I have a number of Kipling bags and I already own the Reth I wanted a lighter colour for the summer so ordered Reth in Peppery
When it arrived I was dismayed to find it was a smaller version of the Reth advertised.It only had one top zipped compartment despite the description saying it had two The label said Reth S.The description did not mention a choice of sizes so sadly it had to go back.It has made me wary of ordering another colour in case I have the same problem
Amazon need to ensure that they are clear on what you are purchasing in this case the description clearly did not mathch the goodsKipling Women's Reth Shoulder Bag
22 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2011
This is my first, but not my last, Kipling bag purchase. It's well made, strong and very lightweight. There is a surprising amount of room inside and has good depth to the base, making it easy to put down without it falling over. The shoulder strap is a good width and doesn't cut into your flesh. It stays 'put' on the body whilst walking, where some inferior shoulder bags move round the body as you walk. I would certainly recommend this bag, as it is so versatile and has a wipe clean fabric, which can also be washed in the machine at 30 degrees, although this is not stated by Kipling themselves. You can't go wrong with this practical style.
on 30 December 2013
I've never had a Kipling bag before but this was the only one I could find that met my needs. Cross body lightweight and with enough pockets. Decided to try it as price was so good on Amazon. I am delighted it doesn't weigh me down or pull on my neck and it holds everything I need. I especially like the pocket that keeps my keys etc close to my body so I can find them quickly. Delivery was quick also so I was able to use if over the holiday period when it proved invaluable. Still don't like the monkeys though. all in all I am a Kipling convert and would now like a wallet as well.
on 24 June 2016
Three years later and this bag is STILL in excellent condition and it gets REALLY well worn. I love how it has so many different pockets/pouches. It's very deceiving as you think it's quite medium in size but really does fit a lot! I simply love it! The colour also means that with time, the grubbiness or dirt doesn't show up on it.
on 11 March 2016
Truly perfect. This bag is an ideal size for me to get my leuchtturm A5 bullet journal in and out with no problem and so much more room for everything else I need to lug around with me. The front pocket is great for pens, tissues and my phone. I already have the kipling 'seema' bag but this one is so much more roomy. The strap is also nice and long to wear over a winter coat and layers, cross body. I can't fault this bag.
on 13 April 2011
Fab bags. Well made with lots of pockets and its light inside so to ladys of a certain age this means we can see where stuff is!!!I bought this one in the pink and a Tiani and they are both superb, but the best thing was the price .....WELL DONE AMAZON.
on 13 April 2011
Very well made bag - ideal for everyday use - holds all you need and comfortable to use - would highly recommend. Product received promptly. Would order again from this site.
I buy a bag for my partner every Christmas and after much looking around I thought I'd give this one a go for the lovely other dinosaur (less wrinkly than a T Rex but with a similar roar!)

I've never bought her a Kipling bag before and I think she'll love this one!

I bought the Brick Red colour and think it looks really nice and autumnal, bringing some warmth into winter.

The bag is extremely well made from nylon with very good stitching and steel D rings holding a nice strong shoulder strap on to the bag. The adjustable shoulder strap is approx 24 inches long so the bag will hang about 12 inches off the shoulder. All the zips are spot on with a smooth 'Zzzzipp!' action with Kipling branded zip pulls on them. Really nice touch.

The bag measures approx 13 x 7 x 5 inches so is a nice comfortable size for the girl about town. No need to be careful walking through the bone china section of John Lewis incase your flailing bag is smashing everything in it's wake! :)

Storage wise - this is a well thought out design indeed. Pocket wise you will find. . .

- 1 x main compartment
- 1 x large compartment with an inner zipped pocket for loose change, receipts, coffee loyalty cards etc. . .
- 1 x smaller zipped side pocket
- 1 x larger zipped side compartment which contains 2 x large pockets for mobile, sunglasses and 2 x thinner pockets for pens and such.

So plenty of room for organising your stuff in here!

I really like this bag and think it will last for years due to it's great build quality. Love the brick red colour and practicality of it. I'm sure the thoroughly modern lovely other dinosaur (can you have a modern dinosaur?) will love it too! Cue - Roars of delight :)

Highly recommended