on 14 February 2013
First up, the install guide for Windows 7 didn't work for my Compaq laptop. It said to stop windows from installing the default bluetooth drivers and download them from the broadcom website. This didn't work for me as the broadcom install said the bluetooth stack could not be initialised. So I did this:

Plugged in the adapter
Let windows install default drivers
Downloaded Broadcom drivers and installed

Hey Presto, all working fine.

Now I haven't any devices which need Bluetooth 4.0, or 3.0 to be honest, but the devices I do have all connect to this without incident and more importantly, re-connect when switched on without me having to re-pair, something I have had to do with another bluetooth adapter in the past.

Range is what I would expect, in the same room just fine, through walls or more than a few metres and things start to drop out but I guess it all depends on what you are connecting to and line of sight. For me, does just what I need.

Great little device.
on 1 July 2017
The blurb says it will work with OSX, But Beware.
It will only work with OSX on computers that have the bluetooth 4.0 software already. Otherwise as I found out after ordering this you will have to Hack settings and:

Use Continuity with older Macs: Words of warning
For the Continuity Activation Tool to work it needs to hack a handful of system files and also disable driver signing. In other words, the overall security level of your Mac will be lowered a notch. This is arguably a minor concern, and a price worth paying bearing in mind the enhanced functionality you receive in return, but it needs to be noted.

Because of the system file hacks, you’ll need to reapply the hack whenever you update OS X. You should always ensure you have the latest version of the Continuity Activation Tool.

Something I am unwilling to do

This is a general rule of thumb and not specific to this item

So if you are on an older machine and perhaps wanting to get "Handoff" to work with you apple watch for instance, you may want to look elsewghere for a solution. (and then please tell me it)
on 4 January 2018
I'd never bought, or even looked for, Bluetooth USB adaptors before buying this. I really had no idea of the likely budget or complexity of such an item. However, I'd decided to get a pair of Bluetooth headphones to pair with my new tablet, and checked to see how difficult it would be to clear my desktop area of another few wires by getting an adapter to pair them with my tower PC as well. One website I spotted had an idiot's guide to pairing Bluetooth devices to PCs, and it just so happened that the Bluetooth adapter they'd used for all their tests with phones, headphones, speakers etc was this one. It almost seemed like a given to them - why would you use anything else?
Based on that, plus the lower than expected price, I ordered this.
It arrived promptly and was so easy to install and pair with the headphones (and a tablet and a phone). I'm using it with Windows 10, and I've tried it plugged in to both USB2.x and USB3 sockets. It's been working with no interruptions or upsets ever since I got it. Admittedly my use has been at close range so far, so I can't comment on the strength of signal and connection. But it does exactly what I'd hoped for. Very pleased indeed.
on 3 July 2014
Great and works like a charm.

I want to write this review though for a simple reason. Basically this device just like any other bluetooth usb adapter will suffer from interference from USB3 devices. I had no idea this was possible or existed but it does. Google the subject and you will get confirmation. It took me a long time to work this out and there isn't that much knowledge on this subject it seems so I thought its really worth confirming this here for others.

What this means is that if you plug this adapter into the front of your computer and next to it have a usb3 socket and then sometimes plug something into that which works at usb3 speed (say just a simple usb flash memory stick) you will probably find that your devices powered by this usb bluetooth adapter suddenly degrade massively in performance.

I use my adapter solely now for a quality MS mouse and it works 100% of the time until I plug a usb3 flash stick in next door to it. This problem is worst when the usb3 device is very close to the source transmitter of your bluetooth signal (ie this device). If you have a few ports on the front of a PC case or next to each other on a laptop obviosuly the problem is as worse as it can be as the devices are right next to each other.

To get around the problem and to carry on using my fast usb3 flash stick without making my mouse inoperable I purchased a usb extension cable and now plug my bluetooth adapter into the end of that, about a meter away from the location on the front of the PC hidden behind my monitor where it used to reside.

So to confirm, if you have this problem, the cause is an inherent issue between USB3 and bluetooth.
Leave a comment why not if this helped you!
on 22 December 2017
Does everything as stated in the specifications. I did not need the drivers, it was just to add Bluetooth 4.0 functionality to my computer which is running Windows 10. I do a lot of product testing for companies, and one of the latest products I had to test the Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC connectivity.
Considering the size of the item and its box, I did not expect it to be delivered in a 'A2' size package...lol
No problem with the item, whatsoever - it serves its purpose what I wanted it for, mainly file transfers and bluetooth connections to test consumer products. Fully tested on a Canon EOS M6 DSLR Camera, Star Wars Stormtrooper Bluetooth Speaker and an Amazon Alexa 2nd Generation. Pairing was very simple in each case.
I have Linux based computers which detected it straight away and a Raspberry Pi (development work). So, I have given this little gem a thorough testing in many environments.
on 1 January 2015
I bought Sony DR-BTN200M Bluetooth wireless headset from another seller but it did not work on my laptop built in bluetooth but it worked with iPhone 6P. I was so disappointed I plan to buy another USB wireless headset but than I decided to try usb bluetooth adopter instead. After looking at reviews of many other items, I decided to buy Kinivo BTD-400 which was bit expansive than many under £5 but I took risk to try it. Item arrived 3 days early than expected and in smart packaging including installation CD. I was in bit rush so inserted bluetooth adopter and install it and then pair it with my Sony headset. For my disappointment, it didnot find the driver. I looked at instructions and there was option to install drivers from CD or download from Broadcom website. I have lightwight laptop which doesnot have CD so I downloaded latest software from web but it didnot work. Than i put CD into my old laptop and copy software to USB stick and run it from laptop. For my joy during installation it found the missing drivers from Sony headset and when installation finshed, headset start working.
With my experience I will recommand it to otherss as well.
on 2 August 2016
I revived this package a day a head of time so that was fantastic, so thanks to amazon for that. The products packaging was simple,sleek and easy to open and inside was the item described/shown. I bought this item for one purpose only and that was so i could use my PS4 controller via Bluetooth.

I had bought about 2 different Bluetooth dongles over the pass two weeks and none of them wanted to connect to my controller so i did some resource and found this item. After receiving this item i put it into my USB slot and it started to install the drivers i then installed the CD that came with the product and it installed it's own software for the dongle. Lastly, I then tried to to connect my controller and it "WORKED" which was a great feeling. I am really grateful i bought this product.

So basically if you are trying to buy a Bluetooth dongle that will connect with your PS4 controller this is the one for you it's simple,easy and best of all it connects.
on 5 July 2017
So far so good on my iMac 2011 although a bit tricky to get going because no instruction for Mac. In fact on the packaging it only says that it is suitable for Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8. This was rather a worry because I had researched it thoroughly on the message boards and read statements saying it worked immediately on iMac . Anyway, it does work and am now using Magic Mouse on old iMac. Have also checked Apple wireless keyboard and the 2 work simultaneously which is good news. Old iMac, new lease of life! Product would get 5 stars if information was provided.
on 28 June 2017
I bought this to connect my PC with a bluetooth device in another room. For me it works OK up to about 15 feet in line of sight. After that the signal starts to break up. If I close an intervening door it also breaks up. It works fine with devices in the same room, but maybe I was too ambititious to expect it to connect beyond that. It was relatively inexpensive so worth a try. For me, it does not connect automatically. I have to reconnect each time I boot up . Also the cd does not contain windows 10 drivers. I downloaded an zip file from the Kinivo website. Identifying the the correct installation / setup file was a bit tricky but I guessed right and it did then install seamlessly (Windows 10/ 64bit). No complaints about the seller who have been very helpful (Bluerigger).
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 January 2017
Somehow the Bluetooth facility on my iMac just disappeared (I am not the only one according to my google search) and I had to buy a cabled mouse and keyboard. Then I found this gizmo and it works a treat. plug it in and you have bluetooth. Probably not good enough for headphones but works well with keyboard and mouse.