1,297
Size: 32 GB|Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

on 11 December 2013
Having received criticism for my previous review of this product, I ran my CrystalDiskMark tests again using larger files. For comparison, I also re-ran the exact same test for my 32GB Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate G3. So, here are my revised results.
For both drives I tested with a 4GB file, formatted it as NTFS, plugged into the same USB 3.0 slot, and disabled my Internet Security etc.

Kingston DataTraveler G4:
Read: 82.08MB
Write: 18.24MB
See the actual screenshot here- [...]

Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate G3:
Read: 189.4MB
Write: 90.12MB
See the actual screenshot here- [...]

So, while different people seem to get different results with their tests, I think this pretty clearly shows that it can only manage under half the read speed and about a fifth of the write speed of the more expensive Ultimate G3.
Aside from that, the build quality seems pretty solid to me, so I'm not unhappy with it.
1010 comments| 197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 March 2014
I purchased this item around 2 months ago. Read and write speeds were disappointing but then it just stopped being recognized completely. Back it went and a replacement duly arrived. After two weeks my PC only recognizes the stick intermittently and the read and write speeds are still slow. Worst flash drive I have owned to be honest.
33 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 March 2014
This is not a fast drive...in some tests it ran the same speed as a USB 2.0 drive. Thats in a high end PC (with USB 3.0 ports) and a new USB 3.0 enabled laptop - both with SSDs. Its only barely worth keeping. If its speed you want then look elsewhere.
11 comment| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2014
The plastic hook is flimsy and simply broke off within 2 weeks of use. I wasn't heavy handed with it. Now I can't attach it to anything and it is difficult to push the USB socket out.
on 21 March 2014
I was attracted by the advertised USB3 and as I only have 1 USB3 flash drive (integral superspeed which writes at 48MB/s) and I required more drives for back-up purposes I bought 3 of these. The write speed is the same as USB2 (8.6MB/s) not what I was expecting. As an example I copied a 2GB file from my HDD on to the Integral drive and it took 45 seconds, the same file copied on to the Kingston took 4.5 mins. This drive should not be advertised as USB3 if it can not achieve the speeds.
On the plus side the drive does seem to be well made so should last and if speed/time is not important then this drive is fine but for a little more money a lot of time could have been saved.
22 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2014
Not sure if I've got a faulty one but write speed averages a pitiful 11 Meg/s which is 1/3rd of the speed of my portable hard drive !
It gets surprisingly hot when transferring a lot of data too.

If it wasn't for the fact it's to back up data and therefore won't get regular use I'd return it
on 31 March 2014
Nice design but drive is very slow. The write speed peaks at 10MB/sec which is 4 times slower than USB2.0 speeds.
Not a true USB 3.0 drive.
on 5 May 2014
I bought this drive for its capacity and also for being USB 3.0 (fast).

It passed the first requirement but not the second as it is not faster than my other USB 2.0 drive when using a USB 3.0 socket on my Lenovo Thinkpad T420s laptop.
on 11 January 2015
Overall its ok, much better than my 1GB stick from 5 years ago (1mb/s write lol). But miles away from utilizing any of the USB3 speed benefit potential.

While its USB3 ready, it provides little or no benefit over using this in USB2 sockets.
If your after a USB3 memory stick because you need the improved speed, look elsewhere.

The plastic does feel slightly "thin" and "cheap". If your going to be plugging this in and out of your system regularly, i'd stay away as this stick feels like a "bender".
review image review image
on 15 June 2014
You get PEAK write speeds of 10MB/s and PEAK read speeds of 40MB/s, however in reality it's slower than that. It might be good if you use it to host an OS where you will only be reading from it. However on the bright side, it feels solid, but you can't attach it to a keyring if you want to keep the lid, because the lid sits on the ring at the back of the drive

Overall, considering the price, I wasn't expecting anything better, I just needed to get my order to over £10.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 7.568 MB/s [ 1847.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.009 MB/s [ 2.1 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 8.407 MB/s [ 2052.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.009 MB/s [ 2.3 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [F: 13.3% (1000.0/7492.0 MB)] (x5)
Date : 2014/06/14 18:11:40
OS : Windows 8.1 Pro [6.3 Build 9600] (x64)