on 1 July 2015
I was unsure at the onset of the book whether it would a good read or not. I was very surprised. Book was brilliant, entertaining and as the story continued riveting. I was very sad that it had to end. Pleeeaase hurry with the next.
on 14 February 2011
I was completely hooked by the sample and bought the book at 1 in the morning so that I could continue the story straight away!! (YaY for the kindle!! First time I've ever done that) A really different story, lots of threads to it, a good balance of genres within the story. It made me think a lot and I can't wait to read more!! Well done.
on 17 February 2011
I love mysteries and I love historical fiction. This book is both. It flits from modern day to the Middle Ages. I thought I might lose the thread or be unable to keep track of the characters but I should not have worried. The characters are too well drawn and the storylines too interesting for that. The disappointment that threatens to rankle as you realise the next chapter has timejumped is immediately replaced by a frisson of excitement as you recall to what you are returning.
Cleverly written and extremely enjoyable. I am looking forward to the next episodes and hope the author is already working on the next batch!
It is also a valuable tool to learn your way around your kindle. I was forced to learn how to connect to a new wifi network and how to buy the 2nd, 3rd and 4th episodes direct from my kindle.
on 15 February 2011
I bought this novella having seen it promoted on Amazon's kindle forum and finding the synopsis really interesting. It is the first in a series of four, and skips between the modern day and the late 13th and early 14th century. It is listed as a crime and mystery thiller, and I'd say it certainly lives up to the mystery tag!

In the present Detective Wendell Book has lost those he loved and had to watch his father's decline into madness. He works vice and his partner thinks he is too soft on the runaways they encounter. When Molly appears in his life her story is too familiar to Book, making him re-examine memories he's been avoiding. In the past we find out a little about the start of a love story between Khali and soldier Sebastien, and she is used to try and extract information from him that he won't reveal under torture. Clearly there is a link between the stories, and a great mystery to be revealed about the King's X, but this first book is the hook that draws the reader in.

This book has grabbed me and I'm going to have to work the subsequent novellas into my reading schedule some time very soon. At the start the story skips around quite a lot, both in time and in which characters are being followed, but I didn't find it hard to keep the threads straight at all. I found Book a particularly interesting character and really want to know more about Khali and Sebastien, as well as finding out what the mystery is. I suppose that all points to a very sucessful first installment.

I thought this was really well written and I liked the author's style. There was a certain economy with descriptions that allowed the narrative to move quickly, yet still giving enough of a sense of the surroundings and events. A final plus point, it has clearly been well proof-read and edited and so I had none of the little niggles that often crop up, particularly in e-books. I'm so glad I downloaded this and if I didn't have another couple of books on the go and others in my TBR list that ought to have been read by now I would probably go straight through the rest of the series. Big thumbs up from me!
on 17 February 2011
I have to declare an interest - the author sent me a copy. That said I found this a very interesting story in a genre that does not usually interest me. It's well constructed and if you persevere with the time changes and getting to know the new characters it's well worth it. Wendell Book is well drawn and I'm getting to know Molly - I would have liked to have known more about Sara. Above all, it is well written and I may well go on to episode two!
on 14 June 2015
Not bad and a decent concept with better than average writing style.
on 17 June 2013
The Kings X series is a well thought out fantasy the links the modern world with ancient western culture. When will this be turned into a movie?
on 30 March 2016