- Paperback: 528 pages
- Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd; New edition edition (26 July 2001)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0141390735
- ISBN-13: 978-0141390734
- Product Dimensions: 13.5 x 3.9 x 21.5 cm
- Average Customer Review: 2.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 947,177 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
The King's Peace, 1637-41 (Penguin Classics) Paperback – 26 Jul 2001
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Dame Veronica Wedgwood was born in 1910 and educated in London, France, Germany and at Oxford University. She was awarded the Order of Merit in 1969. A prolific writer, her books include The King's War and The Trial of Charles I also published in Penguin Classic History. Professor Sir John Plumb wrote of Dame Veronica that 'Her gifts are splendid and altogether exceptional. She is a great craftswoman and a great writer.'
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Throughout the book there is a little too much detail so that at times the broad implications of individual events are buried in their immediate and specific effects. For example, I do not exactly understand why the King so abjectly surrenders to the will of the Long Parliament. Although the book provides a detailed list of all the Bills that Charles I concedes to Parliament, and explains why they are so important, it does not satisfactorily explain why he does not put up more of a fight. On the other hand all the events are fully described, and the motives behind each players actions are explained. This provides for a satisfying read.
As events begin to spiral out of the King's control, the book becomes compelling reading. I am looking forward to starting the next book in the series.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Early Modern 1501-1700 (Tudors, Stuarts, Commonwealth, Restoration, Glorious Revolution)
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > English Civil War
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Europe > Renaissance, Reformation, Thirty Years War 1501-1750