King's Counsellor: Abdication and War: the Diaries of Sir Alan Lascelles Paperback – 17 Oct 2007
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"This fascinating volume is as much a contribution to royal legend as to the history of the war." (KENNETH ROSE DAILY TELEGRAPH )
"Most - though by no means all - of the facts we know already: it is the angle from which they are viewed and the humour and intelligence of the observer which make these diaries both brilliantly entertaining and historically priceless." (PHILIP ZIEGLER THE SPECTATOR )
"Lascelles' diary - now expertly edited by Duff Hart-Davis - offers fascinating and hitherto unseen glimpses of some of the most significant figures of our age... however, none emerges more engagingly than the diarist himself." (JOHN ADAMSON SUNDAY TELEGRAPH )
"a biography of Sir Alan Lascelles, crafty manipulator, and clandestine homosexual, would be a fascinating book." (LITERARY REVIEW )
"sharply written diaries" (PAUL JOHNSON THE SPECTATOR )
"an elegant and precise diary... a revealing glimpse into the drawing rooms of the great during the years of crisis and victory... Lascelles was an excellent judge of character and posterity has almost always proved him right." (DOMINIC SANDBROOK EVENING STANDARD )
"offer genuine insights into the role of the King's adviser." (THE INDEPENDENT )
"What he has written might upset many of the royal inner circle, but is undeniably riveting reading." (THE RESIDENT )
"A great read, written with humour and elegance." (BELFAST TELEGRAPH ) --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
"What he has written might upset many of the royal inner circle, but is undeniably riveting reading." --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
So here are what a personality at the very center wrote down, but one have to bear in mind that he was raised in the grand tradition of the English Gentleman and royal coutier. So having seen it all does not necessarily mean write it down as well. Diaries are private, but a Private Secretary to the King or Queen is properly quite aware that one day his writings might be published. So one can not help to feel that too much is left out, being too discreet. But already this is initself interesting as it shows how much support, respect and protection the monarchs commanded. We are used to "kiss and tell" stories even from royalty themself. So it is in away a testament of a by-gone area. There are so few information on the abdication of Edward VIII that it is quite disappointing. Nevertheless, all in all worth a read.
The diaries show a very different world with different values to our own and must increase our understanding and appreciation of the enormous debt subsequent generations owe to the likes of 'Tommy' and the king he served so faithfully.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
An interesting view, not one I would agree with but another slant on the Abdication.Published 7 months ago by Vivien
Sir Allan does not dishonour himself or the King by disclosing that which should be secret but the book does illuminate the working of the wartime Palace.Published on 30 Jan. 2013 by Antony George Walker
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > British Royalty
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Royalty
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War II
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Queen Anne, Georgian, Victorian 1701-1901
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > North America > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > North America > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Countries