on 4 April 2011
I think that this is a book written without a target audience in mind, just because Poulson felt it needed to be written. If you are already knowledgeable about black hat hacking, you will know a lot of this already. If you are an ordinary computer user, then a lot of the jargon might go over your head.

But it doesn't matter. Poulson writes so engagingly and clearly that, even if some of it is arcane, he can get across the thrill of the chase and into the minds of these amazingly strange and clever people. I had just finished the Millennium trilogy and really didn't believe that the heroine, Salander, could carry out the hacking that she did. Now I know that she could, and how.

The detailed accounts of how the security of banks, national security and retailers were penetrated and data and card details stolen make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. These are organisations that we deal with and give our cards to, such as restaurants and clothes shops. Poulson explains how a combination of software faults, and human laziness and carelessness, make data theft possible. He describes how, to start with, these thefts were covered up and customers told that they were to blame.

I finished up with a mix of feelings. I could not help admire the hackers as they attacked institutions and each other. At times the story had the complexity of a mix of John le Carre and CSI. But then I reminded myself that when my bank calls me to cancel a card, it is people like these who caused it.

As I put the book down I thought that some of the software described is running on my own computers. So guess what? I put an order in for the most advanced version of the free internet security software that I use. No, they probably aren't interested in me, but who knows? I now have a lot of respect for the hackers' skills.

All-in-all a well-written and fascinating book.
on 9 March 2011
I bought this title on my Kindle, after reading an extract in Wired magazine.

This book makes hacking thrilling. What I liked was that the author doesn't skip over the technical details of how the hacks work. You zoom right in, and discover how the attacks are accomplished.

For example, reading Kingpin was the first time I actually understood what a SQL injection attack is. If you're interested in technology, or hacking, I highly recommend you read this book - I loved it.
on 27 September 2017
A good read, that could be a thriller, rather than a factual story.
on 24 December 2012
If you have any interest in crime books, technology books, IT security or hacking (black or white) then you will enjoy reading this book. As another reviewers say, it doesnt just mention specific hacks and security loopholes but briefly explains how various hacks actually work. i.e Trojans, SQL injection, network security etc. Also explains how credit card cloning works. It is not a how-to book but an informative read if you have an interest in any of these topics. A good read.
on 30 July 2013
I read this book over the course of about a month and a half. It was really intriguing and dealt with how a man's passion for light-hearted electronic mischief was both a gift and a curse for him. It had some pretty good revelations and a good sense of time passing through the years.
on 22 March 2013
This is a real page turner and I zipped through it. It reads more like fiction than fact and this adds to the draw as the story pulls you in. A few eye opening hacker techniques are also revealed but nothing too technical. An interesting window on the 'hacker/cybercrim' world as was.

I've been online nearly 20 years and I enjoy reading the odd hacker book as they generally introduce some really creative and innovative individuals along with some of the darker corners of the the tech world. This is one of the better books along those lines. The Cuckoo's Egg is another that's worth checking out, although this is set around the early days of the Net pre-Web it again reads like a novel.
on 6 March 2013
An absolutely fantastic insight into the other world. It is amazing how Kevin gets the scoop on these events he is a trusted and well respected member of all communities. A fantastic really even if you are not interest in the techy parts of computer security.
on 21 September 2015
Riveting and satisfyingly technical account of the hacking activities of Max 'Vision' Butler and the blackhat and whitehat hacking world of the 21st century.
on 15 October 2012
I really enjoyed this book. As a software developer with experience building websites that accept card payments, I found this book very interesting. As someone who regularly made card payments over the Internet during the 90's, I found it slightly terrifying. Overall I enjoyed it -- I often found myself wanting to read "just one more chapter" when I should have gone to bed.
on 24 November 2017