Customer reviews

on 17 February 2018
Very much more readable than the T.Harry Williams' biography, this is an excellent critical portrayal of the man. Containing details not revealed in other commentaries on Huey Long's life, this is yet a much more engaging and compulsive read. If you are interested or even fascinated by the life told here, you'll enjoy this book.
on 20 September 2013
I came across Huey Long in a detective story, Voodoo River, by Robert Crais and he came across as a fascinating character. Having read Kingfish I'm still fascinated. I may go on to read the longer biography by T Harry Williams but I doubt I know enough about politics in general and American politics in particular to judge Huey in his time and context. Long intrigued and horrified me in some ways but I found his early career goals in a positive light. His methods were often amusing and sometimes brutal but there is an impish charm that comes through the narrative. Was he worse than many of his contemporaries? Was he an embryonic Hitler taken out before achieving his evil destiny, probably not but his career is a lesson to voters everywhere to beware.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 July 2015
Great price for a great book.