on 28 March 2015
To compare this to Tolkien, as some reviewers do seems unjustified. I found this book difficult to get into-the characters didn't engage me.
on 7 February 2016
Didn't like.
on 1 August 2014
The first of a series? Not bad but no classic. A pleasant read.
on 25 April 2015
Great book
on 29 May 2014
This is my preferred genre but this book was so poorly written I couldn't get past the first few pages. Very disappointed
on 21 April 2014
Good book, not as good as I thought it could be though. It could be better by making it more exciting.
on 21 November 2013
A friend told me I must read this, and lent me his copy. I should have known that something was up when he told me he didn't need I back when I'd finished it. Or perhaps he meant when I'd finished WITH it, because I defy anyone to get through more than a chapter of this abomination without hurling it out of the window in disgust.

The writing is so bad it's nigh on impossible to read. I had to keep re-reading paragraph after paragraph to try and understand the awful prose. As if that was not bad enough, absolutely nothing happens. I am fine with slow moving plots as long as there are other elements to engage me, like strong, believable characters or an interesting, unique setting, but the novel has no redeeming features whatsoever.

Amazon really should have some sort of vetting process in place to stop awful self published nonsense like this from reaching the unsuspecting hands of the public. The book is the very embodiment of the way in which poorly written self published books are saturating sites such as Amazon and devaluing the market.
on 15 March 2014
Robert Stanek is a “wizard” of the written word: his book, ‘The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches’, apparently the first book in a series, explodes with action and excitement, but still with that requisite emotional gravitas that makes even the most fantastic tale worth reading. If you’ve finished reading some of those Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman or even Tolkien books and you’re looking for a new author to enjoy, then make it this one: you won’t be disappointed.

Like many unforgettable fantasy tales, this book is mostly about an epic journey, an unlikely band of heroes, and a beautiful world to be saved. An interminable darkness blankets Ruin Mist, mostly because of a solution that turned out to cause more harm than good: to heal the physical and spiritual landscape, the land’s rulers ban magic. But a powerful and evil Lord manages to take advantage of the magic-free (and therefore vulnerable) Ruin Mist, leaving its people with a single, although complicated, solution—and one that requires much sacrifice. In this situation enters three characters coming from different walks of life who—against the overwhelming odds—must soldier on in an all-or-nothing bid to save their world—and that’s only for starters.

Stanek vividly paints a world so stunning in its beauty and breathtaking in its magical possibilities that you can “see” everything in your mind’s eye. Clearly, Stanek is at the height of his literary powers, and he wields it with panache and vision rare among self-published authors. I highly recommend ‘The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches’ to any fan of the genre—you won’t be disappointed. Get a copy of this book today—it’s also a perfect gift to like-minded friends and loved ones.
on 26 January 2003
I have currently only got and read the first book but I can say that it is brilliant. I am still in school and for my English I had to write either a short story or part of a novel, I chose the novel, after reading Lord of the Rings I went in search of another fantasy book to help me with my own. I found this and decided to buy it, I can say it is definately one of my most favourite books so far and I hope it will be for other people. The story itself is easy to follow and stirrs the imagiation. It starts off introducing the characters like any story does, Adrina, Vilmos, and Seth and thier different situtations. Robert Stanek's writing is able to describe scenes, people, and feelings in a way that doesnt take up whole pages but yet he decribes enough to get the imagination going. His characters are unique to all I have read in the past and I look forward to reading the rest of the story.
on 22 December 2012
Maybe the good reviews were all written by Stanek or maybe he got his mother to write some of them - only a mother could love this book. I borrowed a copy because I found it hard to understand how a book could have such mixed reviews but I'm guessing the good ones are all written by the author. The plots are a mess, the writing is terrible. He can't even put a sentence together that doesn't set your teeth on edge. In fact the blurb on the Amazon page set my teeth on edge - and since it admits to being by the publisher and the book is self published we know that Stanek wrote it. If you can't construct a blurb you shouldn't in a million years, try to persuade people to fork out good money for your books. I haven't seen any of his other books and I don't intend to.
Having said this, I admit I didn't even make it to the half way mark - but then even the names of the characters are pretty bad