on 25 August 2013
I studied King Lear for my Enlgish Literature A-Level and this was a brilliant copy for that purpose. There is ample room for annotation and the book also provides explanation of words which may not be understood and provides other useful information. This copy of the play is perfect for students and I would recommend it to anyone. As for the play itself, it is highly enjoyable and dramatic and has definately increased my enjoyment of Shakespeare.
on 25 August 2013
I ordered the King Lear York Notes because the were recommended by my teacher whilst studying my English Literature A-Levels. This york notes in particular I found to be extremely helpful. It gives summaries of every scene, helping to make sure that you know the play well and it also provides a commentary on every scene, giving ideas for essay writitng and what the events in the scene suggests etc. The notes also have sections on themes within the play, characterisation, Shakespeare and context. I would recommend this particular York Notes to anyone studying King Lear because it helped me so much and friends who also purchased it also reccommend it.
on 12 October 2014
I've been using York Notes since GCSE, I got A* in GCSE and A in my AS Literature and using York Notes for my various texts was a massive help, it gave me ideas on which I built on to make them my own and by reading it it becomes very clear how to structure your own essays. I'm using this for A2 at the moment and it's perfect.

No matter what your essay title is, the commentary for each scene is detailed and incredibly useful-I really recommend using York Notes in general.
on 16 October 2013
I bought this book for my son, who is in Year 12 at school and is studying this play. The book was recommended by his English teacher because it contains explanatory notes about the text of the play and it is very well explained and easy to understand.

I've not heard my son complain and he is coping with the course very well with the aid of this book.
on 24 December 2012
This collection provides accesss to a valuable range of critical readings of 'Lear', ideal for A level and undergraduate students, particularly if without access to a university library. The introduction provides as very useful summary of develops in criticism of the play, including the 'newer' approaches such as historicist and feminist criticism, and examples of these approaches are included in the anthology.
on 21 November 2016
Purchased for my daughter who is doing King Lear in 6th form. It's a great reference book and a big help apparently! Hopefully it will prove its worth when exam time comes around.
on 6 September 2016
What a lovely read. If however, you are the type of person to heavily sympathise with Cordelia - you are probably a very nice person, but at the end of the day everyone dying in this play is completely your fault and you should have kept your stupid mouth shut in the first place. On second thought, this would have been a terribly dull play if Cordelia didn't have such a smart mouth.
on 27 July 2017
Got this for my daughter as this was required reading for 1st year English at Uni. One of 12 suggested books to read by the Uni.
on 11 June 2017
Obvious detail is the front cover is different, but I am more interested in the content anyway. It's very useful for my A-Level coursework, and I would definitely buy again!
review imagereview image
on 27 March 2017
Decent version to use if studying or teaching the text. Clearly laid out with sufficient space to annotate.