Digital Storage Capacity: 64|Configuration: With Special Offers|Connectivity Technology: Wi-Fi Only|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 January 2016
after spending weeks deliberating which tablet to buy, weighing up all the pro's and con's, and changing my mind over and over - i finally settle on the 32gb hdx 8.9 due to a fantastic hot deal on amazon. i have the kindle touch ereader, which is still running perfectly, but wanted something to bridge the gap between my mobile and my laptop, so buying a tablet was on the cards.

im absolutely sure i made the right decision! it was really easy to set up, literally just using the email address i have linked to amazon, and my amazon password..and voila all my previous purchases on books and music were there without me having to do a thing. my email, facebook and twitter were linked simply by logging them in (although i have downloaded both the free facebook and twitter apps). and even though its my first actual tablet i have found it super easy to navigate. everything i am trying to access is easy, and exactly where you expect it to be. the screen is stunning and clear, and after listening to music the sound is fantastic too. connecting to broadband was a doddle, and even though i dont have fibre optic or anything, infact i only get around 2mb download speeds at the moment, i was on youtube watching music videos with zero buffering. i know some people complain about the silk browser, but i dont see any problems with it myself.

the other issue people complain about is the app store, and the fact you have a watered down version of android, via amazon. well so far, every app i have searched for bar instagram has been found and downloaded, and again i see no issue (although its my first android device so to be fair i dont really know any better) and amzon give you 400coins (£4.00) of credit for you to use in their app store, so depending on price you can get upto 4 or 5 apps paid apps for free (As well as the 1000s of free ones). i havent yet used the camera, but i plan on using for skype and im sure its going to be more than adequate for my needs. it came with around 50% charge, so i could use it out of the box. it charges reasonably quickly and battery life seems really good (although imagine a tablet with the battery life of a kindle touch - lets hope that happens in the future) it also feels great in the hands, is lightweight and easy to handle. so far so good, and it really is that simple to find your way around, but the mayday button is always there if you need it. the offer is still running from where i bought it from, so if you are umming and ahhhing then i would just go for it. 5 stars for a great product well done amazon :)
on 2 January 2017
Paid £400 for this decent piece of hardware but have been hugely let down by otherwise amazing Amazon customer services. It is best if you just read the chat transcript below:

Amazon Your AccountAmazon.co.uk
Message From Customer Service
Hello,
Here's a copy of the chat transcript you requested:

Initial Question: my kindle fire hdx 8.9 won't start

12:47 AM GMT ranjana das: Hi
12:47 AM GMT Gautami(Amazon): Hello, my name is Gautami. I'll be glad to help you today.
I'm sorry to hear that the device does not turn on.
Please don't worry, let me check this for you.
12:48 AM GMT ranjana das: I think it turns on as it shows some garbled drives when connected to my computer
nothing on the screen though
nothing on adb
or fastboot
12:49 AM GMT ranjana das: looks like bootloader trouble
12:49 AM GMT Gautami: Thank you for letting me know this.
Just to confirm are you referring to the device " ranjana's Fire " ?
12:49 AM GMT ranjana das: yes
I'm her husband
12:50 AM GMT ranjana das: I tried to help her start this
12:50 AM GMT Gautami: Sure.
12:51 AM GMT Gautami: May I know how long and when did you charge the device last time ?
12:52 AM GMT ranjana das: it was around 50% after which I charged with original charger for another hour or so before trying to restart by holding the power button for 40 seconds
12:53 AM GMT Gautami: Have you tried charging using a different USB ?
12:53 AM GMT ranjana das: yes
12:55 AM GMT Gautami: May I know if you tried charging different device using this charger and let me know if it works?
12:55 AM GMT ranjana das: all of them work
there is nothing wrong with charger or wires
12:55 AM GMT Gautami: Okay, it is just the device.

12:58 AM GMT Gautami: Can I request you to try factory resetting the device?
I'd like to inform you that a factory reset will restore your Kindle to factory defaults and removes any content you've downloaded to your device. Please be assured, you'll be able to download all your Amazon purchases from Cloud after registering the device again.
12:58 AM GMT ranjana das: how do I do that?
01:00 AM GMT ranjana das: ??
01:01 AM GMT Gautami: Let me help you with the steps.
To factory reset your Kindle:
1. Swipe down from the top of the screen, and then tap Settings.
2. Tap Device Options, and then tap Reset to Factory Defaults.

01:01 AM GMT ranjana das: great
01:02 AM GMT ranjana das: Isn't this whole conversation about the device not turning on?
Or am I expected to do that on blank screen?
01:03 AM GMT ranjana das: This will make an excellent post on social media BTW
01:04 AM GMT Gautami: I'm sorry that I missed on this.
01:05 AM GMT Gautami: Please try the below steps:
-Press the Power button for 2 seconds and then tap Power off to turn off the device. If the device is unresponsive, press the Power button for 40 seconds or until the screen goes black.
-Confirm the device screen is completely off with no activity.
-Enter Recovery Mode by pressing the following key combination:
POWER + VOLUME_UP Release the buttons immediately after you see a logo appear on the screen.
-Once in Recovery Mode, use the volume keys to navigate to the Factory Reset option and use the power key to select that option.
01:05 AM GMT ranjana das: already tried all of these....
-Confirm the device screen is completely off with no activity.
-Enter Recovery Mode by pressing the following key combination:
like I said before, screen is blank
01:06 AM GMT ranjana das: no adb or fastboot
no recovery
01:07 AM GMT Gautami: Thank you for confirming this.
01:09 AM GMT Gautami: We will need to replace the device. I've checked and see that the device warranty has expired on 7 May 2015. In this case, to help you with this I'll be able to help you with charged replacement with 10% discount applied.
01:09 AM GMT ranjana das: so how much would it cost me?
01:10 AM GMT Gautami: Let me help you with the available options.
01:11 AM GMT Gautami: Please check the below options listed with the discounted price:
-Fire HD 6, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB (White) - Includes Special Offers : £79.20
- Fire HDX 8.9, 8.9" HDX Display, Wi-Fi and 4G, 32 GB - Includes Special Offers : £327.20
- Fire HDX 8.9, 8.9" HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 64 GB - Includes Special Offers : £327.20
01:12 AM GMT Gautami: And if you are not comfortable with the options, please let me know the device you are fine with, I'll help you apply the discount .
01:12 AM GMT ranjana das: Can this device not be sent for repairs?
01:15 AM GMT Gautami: I'm so sorry, we will not be able to repair the devices.
01:16 AM GMT ranjana das: How do you know without looking at the device?
01:17 AM GMT ranjana das: please send me these offers in email
01:18 AM GMT ranjana das: I need to check wth my local consumer protection group
01:18 AM GMT Gautami: Sure, will do. And I'm sorry to explain you that we don't offer repairs for our devices. When few troubleshooting does not work we will replace the device, as we do not offer replacing any part of the device like battery or screen
01:19 AM GMT ranjana das: this is most probably a software issue
01:20 AM GMT ranjana das: I think I'll refrain from getting another amazon devide in future
if it can't be rapaired
01:21 AM GMT Gautami: I'm so sorry for this inconvenience, I hope and appreciate your understanding in this regards.
01:24 AM GMT ranjana das: I'm sending this conversation to my Bezos just in case
please send it to my email
01:24 AM GMT Gautami: Sure.
01:25 AM GMT Gautami: Please let me know if there is anything else that I may assist you with today?
01:28 AM GMT Gautami: Hope we are still connected?
01:29 AM GMT Gautami: I don't mean to rush you, but we've been idle for a few minutes, and I want to make sure our chat's still connected.
01:31 AM GMT Gautami: Since we've been idle for 7 minutes, our system may automatically close the chat within a few seconds.
Thank you for visiting Amazon.co.uk Chat. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Happy New Year!
Thank you.
Amazon.co.uk

a decent device let down by a pathetic customer service.
on 1 February 2015
I nearly bought a kindle but I do love colour. I fell in love with this KindleFire HDX 8.9" when I saw it. I've only had it since Nov 2014 but I've had real fun playing games on it. I bought it at Tesco's and had great difficulty in registering it. Customer services at Amazon were brilliant. They talked me through it on the phone. However, there was no manual in it so my first purchase was 'The Kindle Fire HDX User Guide (Beginner to Expert in 1 hour) which helped a lot. From customer comments I've discovered you can go on line to Amazon and use their guide. I also had difficulty in beginning Minecraft. Pressing the 'Help' button got me through to a charming chap who I could see but who couldn't see me - only what was on my screen. He sorted my problem in no time. Most impressive. I've loaded down a few books but I've been too busy playing to read them! So far I've not wanted to use any of the other things it can do either. I'm still having too much fun to learn more about it.
on 23 July 2015
Got this on a deal of the day for a ridiculously low price. Since I have the fire phone and Fire TV which I love i thought i'd give this a try. The tablet itself is lighter than an ipad air, and is way more usable. With amazon prime, you get all the best content that can be enjoyed in perfect quality (the screen is truly astonishing, very high density, and the colour accuracy is unlike any other tablet ive seen). I have an ipad air which i now will sell as I really dont see the point of it lol!

This excels in everything - with the keyboard you can make a laptop, it has a good office suite inbuilt, stereo speakers, origami case is amazing, high end build quality. screen resolution far better than the ipad, and all content just readily available, books, videos etc I cant find a fault, you can also side load any android app with ease if you wish. Im a recent amazon convert, always liked amazon but a major apple user, I now have the fire phone, this tablet, fire tv and my trusted kindle paper white. all work in unison, and offer far more content and value over apple products of the same calibre, also the fire phone was got during a sale aswell so for under £300 i have everything that actually outclasses apple products doing the same thing as the content is just better and so is the hardware on the phone and tab. better cameras speakers etc. an ipad , apple tv, iphone setup would cost you well over £1000 thats 3 times as much! and you dont get a e ink reader lol. So yes a proper no brainer. Get amazon prime, tablet, phone, kindle, fire tv and you are set!
on 28 April 2015
This is the best and I love it. Being a Kindle it is straightforward, not filled with all the guff of an ordinary tablet. Kindle puts in front of you only what you need. My husband bought a Samsung tablet at the same time and he has hardly used it and usually when he does it is followed by the words 'Oh no, what is it doing now' Ha ha, no such problems with kindle, everything is there at a simple touch and the camera is great too.
on 1 July 2015
I've never seen a 8.9 kindle fire in the shops. I've owned a few different 7" versions of the device and have just kept upgrading. All the kindle still work and its always been the cheaper option. With this version being on offer I thought I'd take a chance to see if the kindle could get any better. This was a great choice, not only is it bigger but I incredibly light. From now on I'll be sticking with the 8.9".
on 12 December 2014
Performance is great new interface is step up from the HD . The combination of light weight and large screen is just what I was looking for. The only downside is the reading app 😕 . Lots of the books I read are in a series, even with collections I cannot sort them in series order ( they are sorted by title )
on 16 February 2015
Returned it after Amazons technical department couldnt fix the loud popping sound between music tracks and at the start of videos
The noise is on everyones kindle but i was the only one to notice it as i used it a lot for playing all my music on cloud .
So i bought a lenovo 10 inch insted and loaded amazon music on to that and it works fine
on 15 December 2014
Wife loves it. Got to admit I'm quite impressed too. I'd even venture to say that I prefer it to the Ipad I have to use at work. I find the touchscreen on the Kindle far more responsive and don't end up tapping the same icon time after time trying to get the perishing thing to work like I do the Ipad!!
on 30 March 2014
This was my first excursion into tablets and I was very impressed. The only drawback is that the setting up,while straight forward for people with a basic knowledge it is still a wee bit scary for those, like me, with less than a basic understanding . Perseverance will result in better understanding and usage.