Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Exclusive 8.9" HDX display (2560x1600) with unsurpassed pixel density (339 ppi) and perfect colour accuracy (100% sRGB) for vivid, lifelike images that go beyond standard HD
- Breakthrough ultra-light design - weighing just 374g, the magnesium unibody makes it 34% lighter than the previous generation
- Ultra-fast 2.2GHz quad-core processor - 3x more powerful than previous generation - with 2GB of RAM and Adreno 330 GPU for fast, fluid gaming, video and multi-tasking
- Introducing the "Mayday" button - revolutionary, on-device tech support. Get free assistance from an Amazon expert 24x7, 365 days a year
- 8MP rear-facing camera with LED flash for high-resolution photos and 1080p HD video, plus a front-facing 720p HD camera for Skype video calls and more
- All-new, one of a kind app store experience where thousands of apps, games and in-app items are 100% free -- including extra lives, unlocked levels, unlimited add-on packs and more
Top Customer Reviews
The new HDX certainly fulfils those needs. Though I had a slight problem with setup that I could not sort out myself and needed telephone support from Amazon (excellent, quick solution), it proved remarkably simple and all the documents and apps that I had on the HD were there ready to use. Ditto the books that I had already purchased. One recurrent theme in American reviews and, it seems to be unjustifiably low scores as a result, is the question of office apps on the system. It was simply a case of adding a free word processing, presentation, spreadsheet app and the problem is solved.
The HDX is an excellent piece of kit. I went for the 64GB storage as there are no card slots (something for another incarnation I hope) and this is ample for my needs. The screen is excellent, apps load quickly (both to get on the system and then once loaded), Silk has been improved and is much quicker. The tablet is light and sleek and is easy to hold in one hand, though I find it better to rest it on something for ease of use. The cameras are good and video streams like a dream.Read more ›
So, some points;
- the high output charger is included in the box - well done Amazon
- the screen is fantastic, both in terms of the larger size and picture quality.
- streaming video quality is superb.
- sound quality from the two speakers is excellent.
- the tablet itself is very slim and light to hold - any extra weight comes with a protective cover, which I would suggest is a must for a high value piece of kit.
- I have no issues at all with the power and volume buttons being on the back; in fact I think they are more intuitive to use there.
- I bought the biggest on-board storage as there is no on-board expansion capability.
- an extra tenner to remove the adverts on start-up is worth paying - the default images are very good.
- immediate access to all the music, books and apps I have ever bought from Amazon.
- Very fast download of stuff over my home Wi-Fi network.
- the Silk browser has been improved, and internet pages load very quickly.
- simplicity itself to set up my e-mail accounts, and I was up and running in a couple of minutes.
- both front and rear-facing cameras are very good, and there is a pre-loaded app to control them (unlike on the earlier KFHD).
- downloading the excellent OfficeSuite Pro7 app allows me to view and easily edit documents and presentations that I give for work.Read more ›
So be aware - if anything goes wrong with your NEW Kindle Amazon are likely to send you a refurbished replacement (check their warranty policies). This cheap policy is not what I expect from Amazon. Come on Amazon, if you are not going to repair customers Kindles at least send them a NEW one in exchange.
We've been very impressed by the multimedia experience the HDX delivers: excellent display and audio, as well as picture and video recording capabilities. In fact, the new features this tablet provides dwarfs the original function of the Kindle; by that we mean the excellent e-book reading function is now a small part of what the Kindle Fire is capable of. In a short while ownership of the Kindle Fire HDX, we are more than impressed with it, the following being some of the highlights and in no particular order:
1) Skype call - in fact the first thing we used it for on day one, and better than the quality we had on a laptop, noting its very obvious advantage of ultimate portability and mobility (with an incredibly slim and light weight at under 400 grams!).
2) Watching Video Streaming - yes, most of us may not like to watch movies on small screen, but should you put this tablet to the test of online streaming, the quality it delivers is quite impressive indeed. We tested both with Netflix and Amazon Instant Video and the quality is first class (of course, this depends on the Wi-Fi connection and the test is based on ADSL broadband with connection bit rate in excess of 4 Mbps).
3) Web browsing - Amazon's Silk browser has really come off age (the mono-colour experimental Silk on Kindle Touch tells a different story!Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The HDX failed after 2 and a half years, an expensive mistake to buy this machine. The network connectivity failed completely, and Amazon only offered £2. Read morePublished 24 days ago by PHIL
The kindle is great but it seems there is a generic fault with the charging port. it seems to fail after a time, usually after the warranty has run out. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
An ok tablet. I have had to send mine back twice though due to it becoming really slow over time. I am on my third and this one is slowly ending up the same. Read morePublished 2 months ago by wingedmerchantgaming
This kindle lasted for one year. I have since had two further replacements within two years. Wouldn't recommend to anyone.Published 3 months ago by Fez
Good all round but poor on YouTube not enough settings when connecting to TV. Could do with more ports and memory.
Great for reading on though.
Great.......this is my 3rd Kindle. Originally started with the basic, and then onto the HD version. I have only good things to say about all the Kindles I have owned. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Edmel
Had the old Fire 7 inch for 3 years and treated myself to this slightly bigger one. Has some additional features (this is 3rd generation model) which I like. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Biffo
AnnouncementSoftware Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
|324||1 day ago|
AnnouncementIntroducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
|547||23 Jun 2016|
AnnouncementAmazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
|307||3 Feb 2016|
AnnouncementNEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
|142||21 Jun 2016|
AnnouncementNEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
|288||23 Mar 2016|
AnnouncementNEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
|192||23 Mar 2016|