The Killing Fields (Pan original) Paperback – 9 Nov 1984
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I was deeply moved by the relationship between the two main characters and horrified by the Khmer Rouge. I believe this book should be read by more people, perhaps students, it was a time that was brushed under the carpet. I was in my early twenties when this happened and that era was really unaware of what was happening around the world.
While other genocides have been more carefully documented and examined, the one in Cambodia has been largely ignored. No doubt the fact that both the United States and China continued to recognize the Khmer Rouge as the "legitimate government" of Cambodia, long after irrefutable evidence of this genocide was available, is part of the reason. Around two million people, one third of Cambodia's population, died during the late `70's. And I still recall the remark of a friend who worked in the Peace Corps in Thailand during the `60's, and who visited Cambodia, pre-war: "I found the Cambodians the gentlest people on earth." The how and the why of this enormous tragedy have never been fully answered.
Hudson's book takes the form of a "docudrama"; a re-creation of events based on the known facts. He draws on one of the few other excellent sources then available: William Shawcross, author of ...Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
What a tragic period of history. It is good to remember what cruelty does and to be thankful that Cambodia today is healing and a great place to travel to.Published 4 months ago by daisy
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Asia > South East Asia
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > North America > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > North America > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938