Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 July 2011
My grand daughter, Tilly (aged 5) loves the Katie Morag books and we regularly share them when she comes to stay. Lovely to have this one as her birthday approaches - I know she'll love it. The detail appeals to us both - making it a great read aloud and look at the pictures book.
on 30 September 2013
My daughter (aged 2) LOVES the Katie Morag stories, and so do the rest of the family (boys included) so I have bought this for her birthday. I feel like we KNOW the people on the island now and so it's good to know when their birthdays are. Plus it will, hopefully, teach her how to measure time, whatever, the drawings are fabulous and Alicina is in it, so I am happy.
on 19 December 2011
Dr Hedderwick bring us to the magical island of Struay (oh, that's a tough spelling for my 8-year-old)... and yes it is a magical world indeed. We wander around this magical mythical world for additional tours that are not in the book themselves. Isn't that the best evidence of all, for books to become introduction to mythical adventurous worlds? We escape to Matthew's hut, we experience the horrors of the old castle, and we abide by grannie's ideas on good vs bad morals on the island. Thank you Dr Hedderwick for bringing us ashore on this horse shoe of an island, perfectly sculpted to have us wondering and exploring what happens where and when.
on 14 March 2014
Helen for [.....]
This book is about the irrepressible Katie Morag who lives on the Scottish Island of Struay with her family and their birthdays. It interweaves a story through the months of the year as Katie Morag celebrates all the family birthdays and continually asks that on-going question, “When is it my birthday?”. Looking at all these people celebrating in different ways and sharing fun together was a sweet story, and one that every child can relate to.

I enjoyed reading this story to my girls, it is written in months, each page has the month as a heading and the date of the person’s birthday in different colours down the side. Katie Morag’s own birthday has a couple of extra pages too. I also liked the way the book had a calendar at the end that you could put your family birthdays in (or an older child could). It was also a great touch that it had ‘how to make’ pages showing things that Katie Morag had made for her family and how you could do them yourself, my daughter immediately wanted to make the birthday card.

Both of my girls really enjoyed this, they are 4 and 6 years old and it is perfectly pitched for them. This is a fairly long picture book with quite a bit of text and is probably better suited to a child of this age rather than a two year old. Having said that the pictures are fabulous with lots of detail to engage children and bring the story to life, and the birthday theme is obviously one that even younger children will be able to have an understanding of!

Verdict: This was a lovely book, and the little extra’s in it make it something special.
on 27 April 2013
Perfect to answer the question every child asks after a birthday party.
My children loved that the stories were divided into months of the year and the birthday calendar at the end of the book is great for keeping a record of their friends birthdays.
Also bought as a birthday present for many of their friends.
on 28 March 2015
Loved reading this book to my granddaughter. Lovely illustrations and Mairi Hedderwick at her best.

Katie Morag is now a well loved character - well deserved.
on 13 November 2013
Loved by my grandchildren. Could be read to them over and over. Great stories and pictures - would always recommend
on 14 May 2015
Yes a good book for children learn ing to read
on 1 September 2014
Excellent reading in this series
on 11 October 2011
Book arrived quickly and safely.
It was well packaged and was exactly as described.
Perfect for the Birthday present we required.