on 2 March 2013
Having read earlier books by this author including "The Girl from Leam Lane" and being a fan of Catherine Cookson books this book was a must read. I had been previously fascinated with the way in which this author related Catherine's books to her own personal experiences and I anticipated perhaps more along these lines.
I wasn't disappointed.
I was quite surprised at some of the comments by other readers and I do have to disagree on several points.
The author obviously knows his subject very well and perhaps on a personal level. The dialogue is completely chronological as we travel through Catherine's life on a year on year basis and even grow with her through the various stages and episodes of her life. This book certainly explores and explains the background and reasons behind some of the more traumatic episodes in Catherine's novels.
Personally I loved this book. It is well written, sympathetic but in no way sentimental. It comes across very well that, although the author admires his subject, he is in no way swayed by her manipulative character - in fact he sees beyond her facade to the real person inside. Brilliant book. Brilliant author. I loved it!
on 14 February 2013
This man cannot write biographies! He may have collected lots of anecdotes and facts about Catherine Cookson but putting them together to form a readable and chronological account of her life was beyond him! I am sure that Catherine Cookson was not a very nice person but she did lead an interesting life and it would have been nice to read about it set out in a clear way with a proper date order of events/milestones as they happened. I am very disappointed that I wasted money on this book.
on 7 March 2014
This really gripped me and I couldn't put it down. I'm a big fan of Catherine Cookson and have all her books. This really gave an insight into her life and showed the turmoil that she went through. I'd recommend this book to anyone who is interested in knowing more about the author and her life.
2 people found this helpful
on 3 February 2014
Let's you know about the life of Cathrine Cookson, but if you have read the other books like them it tended to tell you the same things over again. Yes I enjoyed it but some of it was a bit boring, still liked the fat that I found out about her life. A nit of a lady. Meaning she thought she was. Felt a bot sorry for her dear husband.
on 2 June 2017
I HAVE READ A LOT OF CATHERINES BOOKS. AND THIS ONE DID NOT DIDAPPOINT.
on 28 August 2017
Excelent read couldn't put it down
on 5 September 2014
Excellent read. Poor Catherine, it made her such a troubled soul throughout her life. No wonder she had a nervous breakdown after all that and then loosing all her babies which she desperately wanted.
on 20 October 2015
my wife is a big fan of Catherine Cookson to read about her life she is really enjoying the book would recomend
on 25 September 2017
A very interesting read.
on 1 August 2014
Very interesting finding out about Catherine cook sons life. This book will appeal more to the older person. I found it quite enjoy able.