Customer reviews

Karma Collection - Sunrise
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 March 2017
A really good selection of chilled tunes make this a decent buy!
on 30 March 2017
So relaxing and soothing, yet somehow inspiring.
on 9 May 2017
Not quite as good as the original "red velvet" box but great relaxing stuff . Good selection of artists and mixes. And great value.
on 23 September 2017
Very Happy , Brought back memories .
on 4 February 2002
With the plethora of "Buddha Bar" lounge / supper club albums in the racks at silly import prices; it was only a matter of time until club compilation giants Ministry Of Sound waded in for a piece of the action. Happily, on this occasion, bigger definitely means better. This is by far the best album of it's kind in the marketplace, especially if you (like I) have found the Claude Challe albums to be all style and no content.
'Karma Collection' kicks off (predictably) with Jakatta's current cover hit of 'Ever So Lonely', and then hits you with a lovely sequence of Dave Pike's classic 'Mathar' (currently on the Jamie Oliver ad), Nitin Sawhney's sublime 'Sunset' and into Stereo MC's, Thievery Corporation and Massive Attack's mix of 'Mustt Mustt'. Special spotter points for including the snake song from 'The Jungle Book' sung by Susheela Raman, and for finding 90's Indie stars Ride's most cosmic moment in 'Rolling Thunder'. It then goes a bit 'sonic cathedral' with Marta Sebestyn, Moby and the Aled Jones On Ecstacy vibe of Dusted, before riding out with mellow masters Zero 7.
Disc 2 is a bit deeper, with the odd Celtic moment thrown in (Clannad repositioned as veteran chill out masters - whatever next?); and has some sweet simple pleasures with Grant Lee Phillips and Horace Andy on 1 Giant Leap's 'Racing Away' and Bjork's barely there ethereal presence on 'Harm Of Will'. All this comes in a lovely red strokey tactile box, with pretty gold embossed letters. Will definitely look good on that Heal's coffee table.
In conclusion, if you are a real fan of global beats, chances are you've probably got a lot of these tunes already, possibly on other comps. However, if you don't want to pay £30 for a French import; and you just want to relax to some sensual and seductive sounds from around our planet, or you are looking to turn on a friend to something which is definitely fresher and cooler than Another Bloody Chillout CD, shell out now amigos!
11 Comment| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 July 2002
This is an excellent CD, the second in the Karma series from the Ministry of Sound. This "Summer" selection is equally as good as the first, really relaxed happy tunes stylish mixed together. It os excellent for doing to yoga to (or just chilling in the garden with a beer!). It is excellent value for money, and presents some main stream artists as well as introducing new performers.
I would recommend this CD, its great top boost your mood on all thise rainy summer days you know we are going to have! Also great for post clubbing sessions! Well worth the money!
VINE VOICEon 17 December 2010
I'm a massive Chillout fan and forever searching for the most blissed out tracks imaginable to bring calm to the tension I feel inside.
On top of this I'm a Taoist and love all manner of spiritual activities in order to more deeply understand the universe.
However, even I am at a loss when it comes to thinking of Spiritual Chillout songs. Is there such a thing? Can any song be deeply meaningful while also being popular and only 3 minutes long?

Well, this album does its best with what material is available and is a modest success. There were definite moments during the album where it fulfills its premise of being "Spiritually Enlightening Chillout" and (if you avoid the temptation to press the 'Next Track' button) then it does begin to flow through you and let spiritual feelings rise in your chest.

There is one issue though, and the best way of describing it is by analogy. In the Classic Disney film Aladdin, Aladdin's cave is found to be full to the brim with Gold. However (if I recall my films correctly) this Gold is illusory as, when picked up, it turns instantly to sand and dust, just like a mirage.
The same is true of this album - the album works well in its premise and appears real but, if you try and grasp any of the tracks, they turn to dust in your hands. Put simply, none of the tracks are any good on their own.

So, we are left with an album that is a good effort at something that I think is exceedingly difficult to do, namely create a Spiritual Chillout compilation. And, having experienced both Spiritual and Chillout CD's, I think the two aren't meant to work together anyway as one is glib and the other is deep.
As a result, I would recommend the two separately in the form of two of my favourite CD's.
Firstly I would recommend Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao as an aid to Spiritual peace.
Second, I would recommend Moon Safari as unquestionably the best Chillout album ever penned.

As for Spirtual Chillout? The nearest you would get is a Nitin Sawney Album, Moby (doesn't feature on here, even though he is a deeply spiritual guy) and Leftism. Even then, these things are limited and slightly Oxymoronic.
Maybe one day some genius will fuse the two - here's hoping!
on 23 May 2002
yet another compilation from the ministry of sound, like karma collection one this is a laid back album that makes an interesting alternative to the myriad of "chillout" albums available. Although this would be a good album for someone who is looking for their first of this genre it dosn't have much new to offer die-hard fans. Apart from a couple of stand out tracks from Thievery Corporation and project 2000 its all very simular and the tracks all merge into one. I liked it for those few tracks but the majority is average to poor and not as outstanding as the original karma collection.
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 September 2015
I would say that the Buddha Lounge is better. This has some nice tunes but as a whole sound it is a bit mixed up to me. It's still very nice but I was compelled to mix the two cd's as I preferred the layout of the tracks this way. To me, a good compilation should flow. I'm not sure it has complete flow but it's pretty good.
on 22 September 2003
I picked up this double CD on the basis that just about every Ministry collection I've bought was pretty good. I wanted something a little more 'spiritual' than all the other soft-trance/world-music stuff that has flooded the market and thought that Ministry would do a good job. Well, I'm so glad that I had faith because we play it regularly and never seem to tire of it. It's the right vibe for just about every occasion from dinner party to chillout. I particularly like the second CD and must confess that we play it in preference to the first. Across the spectrum from the haunting Caislean Oir (Clannad) to the soulful Rah (Natacha Atlas) and the very danceable Touareg (Le Duc) it all in all makes for very enjoyable listening that you'll play again and again as we have done...