on 8 October 2015
I owned the vinyl set of these symphonies (still do) and remember being blown away by the recorded sound and the performances. Since then I have purchased the set on CD and now this newly remastered set beautifully presented with the original artwork and comprehensive notes.
The sound is just amazing and the performances, though old school to some ears, are to my ears as fresh and satisfying as when I first heard them all those years ago! I have many sets of the Beethoven symphonies and many more individual favourite performances but this is the one set that I value most highly and wouldn't ever want to be without.
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 January 2015
If you are a collector of Beethoven symphony cycles, chances are you already have the 1963 set in your collection. If not, this luxury re-issue is your perfect opportunity. For those who have more modern versions (by Karajan or others) of these truly timeless works, the set would also definitely be worth your money. And those who have no complete cycle at all could very profitably start with this one.

The current Amazon price is really something of a steal. Buy a copy while you can.
on 5 September 2014
FANTASTIC
An old recording that I have from the LP era.. I have the originals! The crazy people that prefers the Lps to the CDs are really insane. Nor the Cd is much better sound and with a regular level from the first movement till the end free of distortion as happened in the end of each vynil records, but if you choose the new Blu-Ray audio disc included in the pack you discover a new recording made in 1962!!!

The best Beethoven symphonies of all time unfortunately with some traditional cuts that is the only little sin of the original edition.

Congratulations DG for the beautiful volume of information and the re realese of the 9th rehearsal that I have also in LP in a separetly recording published in late 60s.
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 20 August 2015
This is a review of the blu ray disc only Having had these recordings in my collection since the 1960,s - I have to say that these new transfers in HD audio do full justice to these legendary recordings of the Beethoven symphonies .I would describe the sound as demonstration quality
The overall set including the CD,s is very handsomely packaged
on 17 May 2015
Superb collection. Needed to replace/add to my Karajan box set from way back (the foam insert had started to 'rot' and stuck to the CDs!).
on 28 May 2015
Karajan & The Berlin Phil at there best. A very good Digital re mastering.
on 12 February 2016