Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 2 April 2005
I agree with the verdict of the other reviewers of this excellent DVD package, however one point needs clarification.
This set includes all 14 episodes from the first two series of Just Good Friends. After the second series the BBC broadcast a special 90 minute episode for Christmas 1984. This was intended to be the show's finale, but the writers and cast re-united for a third series two years later. The third series comprised six regular length episodes and the finale, a 35 minute special broadcast on Christmas Day 1986.
The next DVD release will hopefully include the Christmas 1984 special and all seven episodes from the third and final series. And the sooner it's released the better!
on 4 February 2006
Would those favourite bits that I remembered after all these years be as funny now as they were then? Yes they are.

Too many to mention but, without giving anything away, there's the episode when Penny gets into Vince's car and looks through his diary and wallet . . .

And the episode when Penny's mother tells Penny about the friend that was pregnant at 18.

One of Vince's best one-liners consists of just one word - see the episode in series 2 when Penny makes an announcement.

Vince's mother, wonderfully loud and embarrassing, makes her first appearance in Series 2, memorably played by Ann Lynn, who, in contrast, also played the refined mother of Raquel in Only Fools & Horses, although it was only a brief appearance as I remember, in the first "final" episode when Del and Rodney became millionaires.

Disappointed that this wasn't the entire collection, so we don't get to see the Pinners' family party at their Portugal villa, and that bit when Penny was sitting on the balcony . . . Like others I'm waiting for the final episodes to be put on DVD - what's holding them up? (Hurrah, it's coming) (at least I thought it was!)

And it's strange how Vince and Penny look so young - they didn't look that young when I watched it on TV back in the early eighties !!

If you've never seen it before, don't forget to let the end credits finish rolling before switching off, there's always a "punchline" after the credits have finished.
on 12 April 2017
Loved this! Brilliant comedic pair and although dated, it does not matter. Need to have the next series - when it becomes available.
on 11 April 2006
Great to see that this is out on dvd and video at last. brilliantly acted by Paul Nicholas and the gorgeous Jan Francis, it has comedy, pathos, wit and some great one liners from a well assembled cast. The excellent John Ringham, under rated and always a super actor with ability of timing and expression, provides a colourful foil for the on/off romance beteween vince and penny. Penny's mother, played by Sylvia Kay,is an actress of acerbic wit and energetic acting. Her monologues with each of the characters provide moments of great mirth and insight. This is a wonderful series, but only 2 of the 3 series are so far available. Watch it for a flavour of the 1980's and enjoy the chemistry of a talented cast. It is the equal of fools and horses, being full of the promise of things to come.Watch out for the barman who later took over Mike's role at the Nag's Head, you can even see elements of Boycie and Marlene in Vincents's father and mother. It is worth every penny(!!) to sit back and enjoy the crafted 14 episodes here. I did!
on 3 August 2017
Excellent series 1&2. Not bought last series as they are not cheap enough yet.
on 8 April 2017
Arrived in good time... Altho the series isn't as good as I remembered it to be...
on 1 September 2017
Poor corupt disc but seller sorted problrm
on 28 November 2004
Like the other reviewers I can't wait until the third series is released, soon please. There have been few on screen romances in any era that have matched that of Penny and Vince, and few actors who have worked together as well as Jan Francis and Paul Nicholas. John Sullivan's scripts are excellent of course, but it was the performances of Jan and Paul that had viewers hooked back in the eighties. And this show was watched by huge numbers back then, achieving ratings rarely matched since. The comic timing of Jan and Paul is as good as Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn. *Please* we need to have the third series on DVD!
on 25 January 2005
Like most DVD purchasers of the sitcom "Just Good Friends" I can recall its initial TV screening in the 1980's. What I had forgotten was just how brilliantly written the series was; and how cleverly John Sullivan intertwined the class divides of Penny and Vince, (and their respective families), into a comedy classic.
Watching the DVD I was absolutely enthralled once again by the will they, wont they, theme that enables Penny and Vince to exchange such hilarious one-liners. I don't know if John Sullivan wrote the script with his selected cast in mind; but how wonderfully Paul Nicholas and Jan Francis play to each other strengths. The timing of Jan Francis in particular is absolutely superb.
I cant wait for series 3 and the Christmas specials to be released. Come on Playback; what about it!!
Vic Moorcraft
on 18 January 2006
I was too young to watch them first time round but I distinctly remember the laughter through the walls as I lay in bed with my teddy bear. So when I got my hands on Series 1 & 2 I was delighted. I was even more delighted as I started to watch, as the tears of laughter rolled down my face and then I cringed at the thought of not being able to see what happens next. I have been informed (unofficially) that 'Playback' is out of business and the BBC have no intentions on re-releasing series 3. So if there is anyone out there with a Production Company grab this opportunity while you can and put us all out of our misery.