Just Beneath the Surface: Processes of Counseling and Psychotherapy Paperback – 1 Jan 1996
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
An anecdotal approach to exploring processes of counselling and psychotherapy. This work contains detailed descriptions of the everyday interactions and challenges faced by individuals engaged in exchanges that they hope will be psychotherapeutic. The complexities and aims of these endeavours are highlighted and considered with special attention given to boundary issues. In addition, the book describes ways health and mental health professionals can utilize counselling skills in their work. It should be particularly relevant for those with experience of counselling or psychotherapy either as client or therapist. Themes covered in the book include: bringing together a way of working that is both person-centred (Rogerian) and psychoanalytic (Robert Langs - communicative psychotherapy); the importance of counselling skills within the NHS; and training health and mental health professionals in counselling skills. Each chapter explores nondirective ways of working with people wishing to understand more about themselves and their emotional life. This structured and theoretically grounded book argues throughout in favour of counselling and psychotherapy as an acceptable and common-sense intervention. It should be of interest to NHS health and mental health professionals.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Psychotherapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Schools of Thought > Psychoanalysis > Theory
- Books > Reference > Consumer Guides
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Ethics & Legal Issues
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Psychotherapy & Clinical Psychology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Social Issues > Social Welfare & Services