Junk Medicine: Doctors, Lies and the Addiction Bureaucracy Paperback – 29 Mar 2010
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
A manifesto on addiction by a truth-telling psychiatrist who explodes conventional wisdom. With customary wit and literary forays into Coleridge and De Quincey, Dalrymple turns his raw experience into gems of clinical insight. Addicts are not passive, nor are they diseased; but they have managed, Dalrymple argues, to seduce a vast treatment bureaucracy into regarding them as medical victims. --Sally Satel, M.D., author of PC, M.D: How Political Correctness Is Corrupting Medicine
Theodore Dalrymple is a brilliant observer of both medicine and society, and his book wittily engages with two versions of the current nonsense: orthodox medicine on drug addiction, and romantic poets on the wisdom you supposedly enjoy from getting high. --Kenneth Minogue, professor emeritus at The London School of Economics and author of The Liberal Mind
Top customer reviews
The book is elegantly written, often amusing [the extracts from De Quincey are proof of a poor talent planted in a writer of masive self-regard and are likely to cause some readers to laugh aloud at the melodramatic vanity of the 'Opium Eater'] and faltlessly researched as well as replete with first hand knowledge of the realities of heroin addiction and withdrawal.
This book is wonderfully intelligent and well-written and amusing and engrossing, as you'd expect from Theodore Dalrymple.
I feel cheated and think that this publishing behavior is really a bad habit.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Diseases & Disorders
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Pharmacology
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Diseases & Disorders
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Ethics & Legal Issues
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z > Diseases & Disorders
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics