on 15 May 2016
Beautifully illustrated. I have the whole collection of books illustrated by R. Ingpen and I just LOVE them. It is my greatest pleasure to read them to my kids and I am enjoying them over and over again thanks to the beautiful editions. I do own many different editions of all the classic stories but this one is the best. I hope to read it to my grandchildren in the future.
on 10 February 2017
This is a superb edition of Kipling's classic Mowgli stories. They are of course a product of their time, and it has to be borne in mind when reading. This is of course so with all historical writing from Shakespeare to Orwell. It helps that Kipling is a writer of staggering skill, able to show us much about humanity while apparently characterising animals. Some younger readers might struggle a bit with some apparently archaic language, but it only requires a bit of effort to understand. Quite often Kipling is using thees and thous to suggest that characters are speaking and thinking in languages other than English - which, being Indian, they would be. This edition is also fabulously illustrated by Australian Robert Ingpen. If you haven't seen any of his illustrations before, you are in for a delighted surprise - check out what else he has done.
on 26 May 2016
Sticks fairly faithfully to the original book rather than either film. We listened to disc 1 and actually thought the story had finished, only discovering disc 2 a while later! Given it's setting is fairly alien to a 21st century British child it was quite hard to imagine what is happening and understand the meaning.

It's good but not sensational. Kept my son generally interested on car journeys.
on 12 June 2016
Saw the flim at cinema with my 5year old daughter she love it then she asked for the book she loves it takes it every where with her nice letter size and some nice picture's in it well worth it when it finish finished she would like another one fom the series
on 20 February 2015
My daughter (aged 2) adores The Jungle Book and we wanted a copy of the story to pacify her when the DVD went 'missing' (!). There are lots of versions of this story available, but this one ties in exactly with the film (and the illustrations are obviously from the film too) which meant that the story and characters were instantly recognisable to her. She enjoys listening to the detailed story and looking at the book alongside the film, making links between the two media.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 August 2011
I bought this for my well-travelled grandchildren (three and one); I always use the iPod with audiobooks on long journeys and this is one for their future. Apart from the enjoyment of the story, for a visual generation, I thought it would be good exercise for those to apertures on either side of the much-used eyes. An ex-colleague of mine used to say he "enjoyed the wireless because the scenery was better"; I hope the scenery will be vivid for my two.
Sensibly abridged, well-read with effective background music,it does Kipling proud.
On the CD cover as well as in the product details, I just wish Mr Kipling featured and was given credit for his original writing. "Author: Arcadia Books" indeed!
on 8 August 2014
The book contained some very good narratives for each chapter I had read. I enjoyed reading the chapters about a lost boy called Mowgli in the jungle and a Mongoose called Rikky-Tikky-Tidy who was raised by humans. The last two chapters were a bit frustrating for me to figure out what was going on so I didn't enjoy them as I would've hoped they would be. I was also expecting for the book to be longer than 97 pages (if it was made in that way to be aimed at children then forget about all of the things mentioned here). The story of a seal named Kotick was good; however, the story could've been made a lot more happier for the reader and it could've been made a bit more sense to what was going on at the start of the story.
on 2 December 2010
I loved the Jungle Book. I was surprised since I expected it to be hard to understand given the era when it was wrote but I quickly found myself immersed in the stories included.

I was also surprised that it featured more than one story. I thought the Jungle Book would just feature the story of Mowgli, like on the Disney film but it also features 5 other stories, each of which are good reads.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is quite a famous tale and well worth checking out. It tells the story of a Mongoose working to protect a human family from a family of snakes.

I loved it! Brilliant book and well worth getting.
on 27 June 2013
I have two grandchildren and they are very much of the moment in their tastes in everything. Still I purchased this copy of the Jungle Book as it is such a classic and they love the film.
The book arrived promptly and as stated had a small amount of damage to the cover, which was from a sticker being removed.
I was so pleased with the book, as the illustrations are just brilliant and so I am really looking forward to sharing it with them.
on 2 February 2014
I bought this as a keepsake for my daughter after we had been to see a musical version of the story at the local theatre. She loves all books and i know she has enjoyed this, not having read it before. The illustrations are very well done, but anyone expecting Disney 'cuties' will be disappointed.