The Joy Diet: 10 Daily Practices for a Happier Life Hardcover – 1 May 2003
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'the greatest thing you'll learn from actually practising The Joy Diet is that money, love, success, and, even physical health and fitness are the products of a joyful life, not the cause.' Martha Beck --This text refers to an alternate Hardcover edition.
From the Inside Flap
Welcome to The Joy Diet, a menu of ten behaviors you can add to your way of living and thinking to enhance every day's journey through the unpredictable terrain of your existence. You can add these behaviors gradually and watch your life become steadily more vivid and satisfying. Or you can go on a "crash Joy Diet" to help you navigate life's emergencies.
The ten menu items are:
- Nothing: Do nothing for fifteen minutes a day. Stop mindlessly chasing goals and figure out which goals are worth going after.
- Truth: Create a moment of truth to help you unmask what you're hiding--from others and from yourself.
- Desire: Identify, articulate, and explore at least one of your heart's desires--and learn how to let yourself want what you want.
- Creativity: Learn six new ways to develop at least one new idea to help you obtain your heart's desire.
- Risk: Take one baby step toward reaching your goal. The only rule is it has to scare the pants off you.
- Treats: Give yourself a treat for every risk you take and two treats just because you're you. No exceptions. No excuses.
- Play: Take a moment to remember your real life's work and differentiate it from the games you play to achieve it. Then play wholeheartedly.
- Laughter: Laugh at least thirty times a day. Props encouraged.
- Connection: Use your Joy Diet skills to interact with someone who matters to you.
- Feasting: Enjoy at least three square feasts a day, with or without food.
No matter what your long-term goals are, The Joy Diet, written with Martha Beck's inimitable blend of
wisdom, practical guidance, and humor, will help you achieve the immediate gift of joyful living in the here
and now. Begin your journey today.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Reading "The Joy Diet" I literally smiled and aha'ed a lot. I already know a lot of the issues, that Martha Beck addresses in the 10 menu items. I know that when I am stressed out, it is a good idea to have a time out and do nothing or that laughter is a great pick-me-up. These are just things that I keep forgetting - and therefore sometimes need to be reminded about.
The humorous packaging is hilarious and down to earth, which I really appreciate until most self-help books written by more or less pompous Messiahs.
So rather than happiness-in-a-jar I see "The Joy Diet" as a happiness-buffet with different inspirational menu items to get a step closer to happiness.
In 'The Joy Diet', she makes the point several times that this is going to take time, and you have to give each 'menu item' time to sink in and become second nature before rushing ahead to the next one. Really, if you want to change your life - with this book or any other - that's sage advice: change does not come overnight, and you have to WORK at it!
A lot of what's written here is obvious, and yet so often pushed aside in our busy lives. Laugh more. Remember that it's all a game, of sorts, and what you think is unmovably true can be questioned. Just... do what makes you happy (I know, duh! And yet...). Spend time with people you love, and quietly with yourself. Find your dreams and work hard towards achieving them, however scary that is.
If you're a great big cynic, you'll undoubtedly mock this book's advice as simplistic. Once I would have agreed. Now, though, I realise that books like this are only there to help YOU figure out what's going on in YOUR head, if you're open to a bit of probing. I'm loving the way all of Martha Beck's books have made me stop and think a bit, and realise that a lot of it is all pretty obvious.
Now, excuse me while I go back to figuring out how to do Nothing at all for a bit!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
was expecting more , not for me this book , o much preferred 4 day win that was excellent and have re read that one.Published on 17 Jun. 2013 by blissful lady
Apparently this book had been recommended to a friend of mine,
and she had lost hers, so here we are. The book arrived promptly and was well packed.