on 13 December 2009
Delia Smith's book is one of those books that I will keep for my life-time. It is a study in progress.
I have started this book several times but it is more of a study and meditation than a read. Each chapter is beautifully written and there is so much to consider and think about in each chapter that it can keep me going for an entire week or more.
It is possible that one could read this book through as you would any other book but I couldn't do it - I would have missed so much. The journey is a beautiful walk towards the God that loves us and wants us to know him/her. It is the journey of developing a relationship by spending time with God - as Delia says, prayer is something that God does and it is our response to that.
This book helped me to let go of all my incorrect views of God, to know that I am loved right now as I am. I especially love Delia's thoughts on 'God as Father, God as Mother, God as Friend, God as lover'. I am still reading/studying this book several years on.
I have learnied that making time for God/prayer each day reaps rewards in every aspect of our daily life. When I stray from this practice I eventually start to lose my way and I return to this book to help me get back to the one and only true journey that will satisfy us and bring us peace.
I am now starting to read/study this book again and this time, I may eventually get to the last page.
on 14 March 2015
This classic from Delia deserves republishing. After having used A Feast for Advent and A Feast for Lent on and off for many years to be a light on the contemplative path through these mystical times of year, I recently looked for some more in the same vein and was surprised to find this. The 84 short reflections are a thoughtful accompanyment to any exploration of prayer. With not a 'How to' in sight, she provides a trusted, gentle and unassuming hand to open many doors on the nature of prayer and the place of prayer in daily life; and how it impells us towards a stronger and deeper relationship with God. Delia is famous for her approachable and practical style in cookery writing and she uses her skill to great effect to help us, whether experienced or a spiritual beginner, to understand more about what can be a vital and essential ingredient in the life for all of us. Despite being first published in 1988 the language is timeless and just as accessible as her other writing. A book to return to again and again.
on 1 May 2014
It gave us a glimpse of the abundant wa\ys in which the Lord has led Delia into a revealation of his love. It also demonstrated the love with which Delia has responded to the Father's love manifested in the life of Jesus. It is a simple and yet filled with experiences a\s to how the Good News can touch, hela and help us to grow in union with the ord as he speaks to the depths of our being. It is well worth a modern edition.
on 28 February 2013
I was so happy to receive this book and to find it in such good condition. I gave it to my friend for her birthday and she was delighted to receive it.

I must say that I don't understand why the book is "out of print". It's one I've read over and over again always finding some new insights through it. My husband and I have just reread it in our devotional prayer time.

Thanks for shipping it for me. Marion Stalter
on 18 April 2015
This book was nominated by my Church Book Group and I just felt engrossed by every page. Delia's writing was a very pleasant surprise - a real Christian, full of insight - this book is an excellent handbook for prayer.
on 14 December 2012
Delia wrote this book in 1998 and it is as relevant today as it was then. Her book gives useful and clear explanations on the meaning of prayer which I found so useful, not only for myself but for helping others.
on 24 September 2010
Written when Delia Smith was quite young but the themes seem to be just as relevant today. Short chapters mean you can dip into this book.
on 17 April 2012
This is a very readerable book and is helping me in my journey through life.
I find Delia Smith uses day to day language that all can understand.
on 6 February 2016
Thoughtful comments on biblical and other quotes. May help those who find prayer difficult. Worth reading.
on 15 May 2016