Journey of the Pink Dolphins: An Amazon Quest Paperback – 15 Feb 2009
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Pink dolphins--and yes, in the Amazon River the flamingo-coloured mammals do exist--are believed by Brazilians and Peruvians to take human form, impregnate women, lure lovers to an underwater paradise and in various ways drive those who encounter them mad. They seem to have worked their magic on science writer Sy Montgomery, who journeys through rain forests and sunken cities in a mad-dash pursuit of the enigmatic creatures.
Despite encounters with piranha-filled waters, toxic ants and large rats--not to mention boat failures, foreign language problems and alternate blasts of sun and rain--the persistent Montgomery pushes happily on, offering a lyrical account as intoxicating as the subject itself. She eventually makes contact, swimming with them, even holding one in her arms, but that may be the least relevant aspect of the entire book. Montgomery turns nature into a bewildering drug, opening doors into cultural and biological worlds invisible to most, but which teem with as much unseen life as a drop of river water held under a microscope.--Melissa Rossi --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
The voyage is the ultimate in extreme....Deadly possibilities and impossible-to-imagine rewards lurk around the river's bend....[Montgomery] writes with flair and with an ease that makes you feel like she's sitting next to you, telling you her stories.
"USA TodaySee all Product Description
Top Customer Reviews
This book is a surprising and joyful insight into cultures and living habits unknown in our society. An absolute must-read for animal and culture lovers everywhere.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Habitats
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Mammals
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Hydrobiology
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Countries & Regions > Central & South America > Brazil > Amazon
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Travel Writing