Joshua: Interpretation: A Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching Hardcover – 31 Jul 2003
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
There is a newer edition of this item:
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Jerome F. D. Creach is the Robert C. Holland Professor of Old Testament at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Top customer reviews
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Great buy for a Sunday-school teacher or Bible reader.
Other reviewers have remarked that "the author doesn't believe that anything written in the book of Joshua actually happened," suggesting (wrongly) that this means it would only be interesting to atheists. This is not the case. Creach is a devout and faithful Christian, and his work is largely around the question of how faithful Christians can engage with a book that contains such violent imagery and attribute it to God. Reviewers who wish to defend and attribute the level of violence in Joshua to the God who is Jesus represent the doctrine of demons that created the New Atheists.
Put simply, Creach's commentary is both top-notch scholarship and faithful to Christ, and I wish the reviewer who said he threw it in the trash after five minutes had sent that copy to me. When I can afford to build my commentary collection, this will almost certainly be in it.
The Joshua (Otl (The Old Testament Library) by Richard D. Nelson is the only one that *might* be better (it is indeed excellent!), but the longer I work through this exegetical process, the less confident I am that it is better.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Bible > Bible Studies > Old Testament > Commentaries
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Bible > Commentaries > Historical Books
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Bible > Concordances
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Bible > Reference
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Evangelism > Preaching
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Theology > Bible
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Judaism > Sacred Writings > Hebrew Bible (Old Testament)