on 28 November 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was well written and takes you on a tour of Jony Ive's life from child prodigy to now the world's best known and most respected industrial designer. After reading this book, it is easy to see the synergies between Jonny Ive and Steve Jobs. Both have or had the ability to see the big picture as well as the minute details. Both are or were perfectionists, on a mission to create a better product and provide a better experience. Both are or were concerned about the invisible details as much as those things that are visible. The partnership they formed literally changed the world. And the creative genius that made Apple what it is today is still there, answerable to nobody else. And that creative genius, encoraged and supported by Jobs when he was alive, is Jony Ive.

Clearly Jony has a healthy ego, unsurpassed power and influence within Apple, and a wonderful lifestyle, which he truly deserves. But he also comes across as a genuinely nice guy who gives credit to others as much as himself, and will go the extra mile in anything he does.

What impressed me most is that Jony is much more than 'just' a designer. He is an innovator in production techniques as well and has come up with some amazing innovations like the Apple Unibody process that have revolutionised fit, finish and reliability on volume produced products. I had always imagined that another group of engineers would have been responsible for these aspects, but no it is all part of Jony's design process ... And is all the more impressive for that.

I was also hugely impressed by Jony's drive to make everything tactile and emotionally engaging. It is a characteristic that runs through all of his designs, and you see it in all the products he he has designed or overseen in his time at Apple. You see it too in the Apple stores, where people are encouraged to be hands on. It is a lesson that everyone in business could and should learn, and I am tempted to buy copies of this book for all my clients because if they could truly understand this one thing and bake it into everything they do, they would deliver better products and services to their customers. Their customers would then develop a deeper emotional engagement, leading to more loyalty and unstoppable word of mouth ... All things for which Apple sets the benchmark. And for which Jony Ive has been responsible.

I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone both to better understand the true genius of Jony Ive, and yes there is no doubt that he IS a genius at what he does, and the lessons you can take away and apply in your own life. Thank you Leander Kaheny for writing it so well.
on 19 November 2015
Disclaimer: as with most other people who would read this book, I've read both of the Steve Jobs biographies. (I'll confess I haven't read much other Apple History, though). Based on the limited stuff I've read, each book places their focus at the absolute centre of the Apple Universe, with all others as shadow players. This one tends to do the same for Jony Ive.

While it tries to pull together a number of different sources to cast some light into the shadows created by being such a central component of one of the most secretive companies in the world, it sometimes fails to bring them into a coherent timeline. As a result the narrative of the book can be a little jerky in places.

But, with all that said, it's a good read and as a fellow Brit I've got to be proud of the designer at the heart of Apple. I'm probably biased as I'm a recent convert to Apple equipment and have now plunged headlong, but it's a worthwhile book to read to round out the picture of Apple as painted by the Jobs biographies.
on 9 December 2013
As a fully signed up Apple nut and having worked in the design industry for nearly 20 years I have been waiting for a book like this for ages. It's a real shame that Lyander didn't get direct access to Jony or official Apple channels but to be honest he's done a grand job without it. There must have been some serious research behind it.

It's a great read and really gives you an idea of Jony the man, who is a quiet but truly inspirational character. I already liked his output but now I have a good insight on how Apple's design process works and there are plenty of tips on how I can apply some of those methods to improve my own design process.
on 3 February 2016
Interesting and indepth insight into Jony's entire career. A little bit disappointed that I didn't learn much knew, but this is perhaps because so much has already been written about him since Apple's unstoppable rise, that I have already read much of it through various interviews and news outlets.

Still worth a read though for the Apple fanatic or the industrial design enthusiast.
on 26 December 2013
Great subject, some interesting facts, but overall indifferently written and a bit flat. In a few places, has the hallmarks of having been rushed out for some reason. If you are an Apple / Jony Ive fan (as I am), then I'd certainly recommend this as a book you will enjoy. But falls a bit short overall.
on 25 April 2014
I was looking forward to reading this following the Steve Jobs biography, but I was sorely disappointed. In comparison it was like viewing a room through a keyhole as opposed to being in that room - it was clearly apparent that the research had been completely achieved through third-parties and other articles, with little real insight into Jony himself - there are suppositions and assumptions but it lacked the depth that having access to the man himself would have achieved. In all it was a bit superficial and a hotch-potch of facts, supposed facts and assumptions.

I did find an inaccuracy around dates which reinforced by opinion of the book - pg 58 before joining Apple he was stated as being 26 years old, on pg 62 he joins Apple and is now 25.

It's OK as a read but nowhere near the read the Steve Jobs biography is.
on 8 January 2014
I still remember the frisson of pleasure I felt when I opened the box of my first ever Apple product - an iPod - over a decade ago. It was the first time in my life, I think, that I had ever been impressed by the packaging of something I bought. As this book makes clear, that was no accident: Ive and his colleagues decided to put as much effort into the design of the packaging of the iPod as they did into the product itself.
The Ive who emerges from this book seems a genuinely nice individual, immensely talented and obviously in exactly the right place: the Paul McCartney to Jobs's John Lennon, or vice versa. Its only when you read sequentially through the projects that he's been involved in that you realise what an enormous influence Ive had on modern design, and how positive that influence is.
That said, the book is not particularly profound, and whenever it strays away from subjects the author knows about (essential high tech and design) it rapidly loses its grip. In addition, the fact that Ive did not agree to be interviewed means that it's essentially a - very competent - assembly of interviews that Ive has given elsewhere, and what others have said about him. The author has clearly interviewed everyone he can get his hands on, and the result is, if in the end a bit superficial, a book that any Apple fan will want, and most will read with profit.
on 29 April 2016
A lovely book and a great, relaxing read. Purchased for a University essay, but turned out to be very fascinating and enjoyable beyond my initial research requirements from it. Highly recommended. A really eye-opener into the world of Jony Ive and Apple!
on 30 April 2015
I enjoyed the book tremendously as my background is in design and sales and I could relate to many of the problems and solutions achieved.
Jony is a hard worker who has led from the front to help make Apple the successful company that it is today.

I can only wonder where Apple and Jony will be in 5 years time and what products we will be enjoying!
on 27 June 2015
Mostly conjecture along the lines of 'Jony must have thought this...' based upon fairly routine interviews with people quite distant from the man himself. Maybe my fault, I'm used to auto-biographies so it's much clearer what was said / thought by the subject themselves.