The John Wayne Ultimate Collection [DVD]
Get £1 Off Amazon Video*
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
The High And The Mighty-When a commercial airliner developes engine problems on a trans-Pacific flight and the pilot loses his nerve, it is up to the washed -up co-pilot Dan Roman to bring the plane i; Island In The Sky-When an Army Transport plane and its crew of four crashes in the ices of the Labrador, a captain must keep his crew's morale and spi rits up as they await a rescue mission to lift th; Big Jake-A man estranged from his family for 15 years helps his two sons search for the kidnapped grandson he didn't know he had.; Donovan's Reef-Three ex-Navy men remain on a South Pacific island - one to practice medicine, one to open a bar and another to comb beaches - until the doctor's haughty daughter arrives to threaten t; El Dorado-A rancher with a paralyzed hand helps his friend, a drunken sheriff, redeem his reputation. They team up against all odds to rout ou t a killer and his ornery gang.; Hatari-; In Harm's Way-A cruiser commander who survived the attack on Pearl Harbor is put in charge of the first counter-attack against the Japanese.; Man Who Shot Liberty Valance-A tenderfoot becomes a hero after shooting a bad man, but the shot was really fired by his friend.; Rio Lobo-A Civil War veteran seeks out the murderers of his best friend.; The Shootist-In his last and most poignant film, John Wayne plays an ailing legendary gunslinger looking for a place to die in peace, but everywh ere he goes, his violent reputation precedes him.; The Sons of Katie Elder-The four rowdy sons of Katie Elder return home for her funeral and to avenge her death.; True Grit - Resleeve-A one-eyed whiskey-swigging U.S. Marshal risks his life to help a young woman complete her westward trek. John Wayne won an Academy Award for Best Actor.; Hondo (Batjac)-Based on a Louis L?Amour story, John Wayne stars as a tough cavalry scout who encounters a widow (Geraldine Page) and her son, livin g alone in dangerous Apache territory. Nominated fo; McLintock (SE)-A rancher contends with an estranged wife who wants a divorce and a college-aged daughter who's in love with the son of one of his e nemies.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
A very brief review of the contents:
The DVD transfers are very good indeed and the special editions included (Mclintock! and Hondo) are un-edited; earlier releases of Mclintock had a huge 20 mins of footage cut unbelievably. El Dorado is also uncut, including in this release is the infamous James Caan flowerpot, Chinese impression which has been missing from some previous releases. This is a must have boxset for all John Wayne fans or lovers of classic Hollywood films when life was simpler and less cynical.
The physical slip case is so flimsy that mine arrived crushed like a pancake, not helped by the fact Amazon sent it in a Jiffy bag rather than a box! Secondly the actual design of the foldout inner sleeve means the DVDs are tucked into D cuts in the card rather than on sprockets so they slip out if the box is turned upside down. Inevitably the box being upside down happens in the post resulting in all the DVD coming loose and rattling around in the box. Some of the DVDs had slipped around so much in transit that the scratches on them rendered the DVDs unplayable which is a huge disappointment. I have reluctantly returned the box set and would advise buying one in person if at all possible to ensure everything is as should be.
1 "Hondo"(53) directed by John Farrow. A very fine western, with Wayne as an Indian scout in conflict with the Apache. A film I have already reviewed in detail.
2) "Island in the Sky"(53) directed by William Wellman. Wayne plays a chief pilot of a plane that ditches in the wild wastes of Labrador during WW11. A very decent and underrated aviation film. One of the big mans lesser known films. Another film I have reviewed in more depth.
3) "The High and the Mighty"(54) directed by William Wellman. Wayne plays a co-pilot haunted by his past. A film that was commercially successful and was the "Airport" of the fifties. Also starred Robert Stack and Clair Trevor
4) "Hatari"(62)directed Howard Hawks. Spills and thrills galore as Wayne and friends capture big game in Africa for zoos. A film I have already reviewed.
5) "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"(62) directed by John Ford. A superb elegiac western by the master Ford. Also stars James Stewart and a very bad Lee Marvin.
6) "Donovan's Reef"(63) directed John Ford. Wayne and Lee Marvin have rumbustious fun in the South sea's.
7) "McLintock"(63) directed by Andrew V McLaglen. Wayne has fun with old sparring partner Maureen O'Hara in this comedy western. Good light hearted fun and a film I have already reviewed in detail.
8) "In Harm's Way"(65) directed by Otto Preminger. Second World War naval drama also starring Kirk Douglas and Pat Neal. A rather disappointing big budget picture.
9) "The Son's of Katie Elder"(65) directed by Henry Hathaway. A good solid western from the veteran Hathaway. Wayne's first outing after his bout with cancer. Also starred Dean Martin.
10) "El Dorado"(67) directed by Howard Hawks.Read more ›
Item came really well packaged so the content box did not even have a slight 'dent'.
Amazon does it again.
At this price for so many films it seemed too good to be true!
As other reviews have commented the packaging is truly appalling, they would be safer delivered in a brown paper bag.
Most of the films have a fault, the annoying thing is you only find out that they wont play when you get half way through the film!
Don't waste your money, better to build up a collection from individual discs that are better quality.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
discs was all loose and box was slightly damaged. was still a good buyPublished 2 months ago by Amazon Customer