Format: Hardcover|Change

on 2 November 2009
This is quite simply the best biography now available. The authors have drawn on their joint experience as two of the foremost Milton scholars, and have examined (or re-examined) all of the primary source material, and situated it in its historical contexts. The observations on Milton's writings are astute and erudite, and there are few attempts made to draw inferences which are not warranted from the source material. But the prose is crisp and sharp, and there are few gaps in the narrative in want of explanation. This biography should be the first point of call for both newcomers to Milton, and experts in the field.
on 5 September 2011
This is clearly a great book, but just a warning that the quality of the print on a Kindle is rather poor, and the justification seems amiss (the gaps between the words are often far too large). I hope something can be done about this for the future because at the moment the reading experience is poor and definitely not worthy of the Kindle. I recommend you download a sample first. (Sept 2011)
on 1 June 2014
I've been writing a historical novel about the year 1658, when Oliver Cromwell died. Milton was a central character in that year as a secretary of state in the government. I found this biography really detailed and it gave me lots of valuable information. I read it selectively and not all the way through. It's thoroughness comes with a certain dryness, but I didn't mind that for my purposes. I recommend it strongly as a source book, but perhaps not as 'good read'.
on 4 September 2013
An excellent biography, thoroughly researched and utterly gripping. Arrived in imaculate condition and very promptly. I am over the moon with this book.
on 2 June 2015