on 7 June 2012
For many years I have used the William Barclay Daily Study Bible. This book, and the others in the "For Everyone" series, is an excellent new thought provoking approach to the same subjects. I found that many passages were dealt with quite differently to Barclay's work and challenged me with new thoughts. I therefore intend to build up a collection of the whole series. To find a new series written in uncomplicated language which is completely understandable is like discovering gold!
VINE VOICEon 8 June 2013
I'm working my way through these "For Everyone" books by Tom Wright and I'm really finding them fascinating and enjoyable. They are just what I have been looking for after reading the Bible myself and not being able to get a coherent message out of it. As I read these books I feel the Holy Spirit drawing closer to me and I believe that the Holy Spirit speaks to individual Christians primarily through them reading the pages of the Bible. The author's commentaries complement this effort perfectly. They are well written, understandable and enlightening. This book looks at the first half of the important gospel of John and it provides a wealth of interesting information to go along with the Biblical text. All good stuff. Looking forward to reading Part Two already !
on 22 January 2013
Tom Wright was recommended by our Rural Dean. I use these commentaries in my sermon research and they are very useful and helpful. The biblical text has been translated from the original Greek into modern day English, understandable by most people. The commentary on each text uses modern examples of incidents, places, people that any of us might come across or experience, to help understanding. The book can be used in personal Bible study and quiet time and/or for group activity and/or help in preparing talks and sermons. I highly recommend Tom Wrights 'Everyone' commentaries.
on 21 August 2011
An excellent book especially with the author's own translation of the Bible. I have found it to be both interesting and useful in getting into what the original words were written to convey.
on 3 April 2013
I bought this for Lent, but haven't got very far with it - I find all the 'anecdotes' which are meant to make it relevant to today just a constant distraction from the line of thought. I reverted to reading William Temple's 'Readings in St John's Gospel' instead - I may return to Tom Wright later.
on 8 September 2013
Tom Wright has produced an excellent and scholarly series of books that guide the reader of the New Testament into deeper pathways of understanding. He has an easy, readable style often laced with personal stories to illustrate the exegesis of the passage. I recommend this whole series of the New Testament for Everyone unreservedly.
on 13 August 2013
Half way through, so accessible not too scholarly, easy to understand, and eye opening, thought provoking and absorbing, is literally for everyone, new believer or long standing Christian would be able to gain from this book.
on 2 October 2013
This commentary on the 1st 10 chapters of John's Gospel is very useful and very informative. Tom Wright's modern English translation of the New Testament is clear and concise and his commentary on each passage is both readable and relates to modern day situations. A valuable tool in helping us to understand John's Gospel.
on 27 August 2013
This book & others by this author make Bible study easier & more fruitful, it is easy to read & his explanations make the understanding of John's Gospel more complete, it may be the first that I have bought but it most certainly won't be the last.
on 30 January 2014
I have used this book as a source book for leading a home group in conjunction with Tom Wright's bible study guide on John. His translation of John is extremely accessible and it was very helpful to read it out loud in the group with the other members following the TNIV.