on 23 August 2017
Excellent
on 13 January 2014
Bought as a present for my daughter who is looking to get into Drama School. She tells me that the book is excellent.
on 19 July 2017
Great! Thank you
on 22 June 2002
This is a great compilation of Orton's plays. The introduction is very accessable and gives a good grounding for anyone studying Orton. Joe Orton had a profoundly interesting life history and this introduction helps convey that life and character. The plays sell themselves - they are all intensely funny, intelligent, subtle and contain the wit of Oscar Wilde's finest. 'What the Butler Saw' and 'Entertaining Mr. Sloane' are my favourites and are typical of his style which is a cross between the 'Carry on' films and 'Noises Off.' Great fun.
on 14 January 2008
I thought I'd add a review of this collection of plays as I'm amazed to find that only two other people have done so. Perhaps the notoriety of Orton's life - and death - have overtaken the work itself. But the play's the thing.

I read these plays recently and thought they were terrific. Orton had an absolute understanding of the farce form and loved to take it as far as it would go. And then go further.

While these plays can't be called political in the sense of Dario Fo's "Accidental Death Of An Anarchist" they certainly have some bite to them. Orton wasn't a political writer, he was more concerned with society's institutions and conventions, and he could be scathing. But, crucially, these plays are as funny as Fo's works. The best of these plays - "Loot", "What The Butler Saw" - certainly can be mentioned in the same breath as any farce you care to name.

I found this a really good read. I'm an actor and it made me long to see these plays performed and, more, to be in them myself.
VINE VOICEon 4 July 2005
A paragraph from the dust cover:
This Volume contains every play that Joe Orton-now a key figure in modern British drama-wrote before his violent death in 1967 at the age of 34. It includes four shorter plays ("The Ruffian on the Stair", "The Good and Faithful Servant", "The Erpingham Camp" and "Funeral Games") and the three plays for which Orton is chiefly known here: "Loot", "What the butler Saw" and "Entertaining Mr. Sloane."
I bought the book for the play "What the Butler Saw" which style remedies me of "The Importance of Being Ernest" by Oscar Wilde. The other plays are an added plus.
Read the book then see if you local theater is aware of the plays.
on 30 July 2011
I joined a play-reading group with virtually no knowledge of drama post 18th Century. In my first term we started to read Joe Orton's plays, which I got via Amazon for the princely sum of One Penny (plus p and p)from the Bournemouth Oxfam. (Highly recommended). We read LOOT first, and then WHAT THE BUTLER SAW and THE ERPINGHAM CAMP. It was a revelation to me - highly intelligent writing, with a serious theme in the background (our hypocrisy about death; the ludicrous side of the medical profession; a parody of a Butlin's holiday camp) and also extremely and wickedly funny. The play-reading had to stop once or twice because the readers were laughing so hard they were crying. I highly recommend Orton's work and am very pleased to have the rest of the plays.
VINE VOICEon 11 July 2013

Read the book then see if you local theater is aware of the plays.
on 19 November 2014
Mint condition, on time. Didn't enjoy the plays as much, especially the last one. For no other reason than I read the last week of Orton's diaries before starting that particular one and came to realise what kind of man Orton could have turned into. Strange sort of taste and while some things I found likeable I think his sort of macabre is not for me. I felt this whilst reading the first couple, before I read his diaries so personal feelings not involved there. I even thought he was fantastic from his early diary entries alone, tried very hard to like his work. Nothing wrong with seller or packaging.
on 30 January 2013
Having recently had the privilege of seeing a brilliant production of "Entertaining Mr Sloane" at The Curve Leicester, Joe's home town what can one say about all his plays but that they are brilliant anarchic anti-establishment humorous masterpieces. Pity he was murdered when still young or what else might he have written?