Jewish Women Philosophers of First-Century Alexandria: Philo's 'Therapeutae' Reconsidered Paperback – 30 Mar 2006
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Review from previous edition 'This book is very well researched and original ... The lasting value of this book is twofold. It explores the status and activities of the Therapeutrides in more detail than earlier scholarship, thus reconstructing an important aspect of first-century Judaism. It also raises intriguing questions regarding the spreading of this phenomenon, which thus far cannot be answered with certainty. Beyond these issues related to women, the book is important because it reads one text of Philo against the grain and attempts to reconstruct a type of Judaism that differed in some significant respects from his own. This contributes to our understanding of the diversity of Alexandrian Judaism and may perhaps invite others to recover yet more forms of Judaism between the lines of Philo. (Scripta Classica Israelica)
About the Author
Joan E. Taylor is Honorary Research Fellow in the Department of History at University College London and Honorary Fellow in the Department of Religious Studies and Philosophy at Waikato University, Hamilton, New Zealand.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation > Egypt
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation > Greece
- Books > History > Asia
- Books > History > Europe > Greece
- Books > History > Middle East > Egypt
- Books > History > World History > Slavery
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Judaism > History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Other Religions > Tribal & Ethnic
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > Philosophy
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Academic Philosophy
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy > History
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Women's Studies