- Paperback: 752 pages
- Publisher: The Jewish Publication Society (8 Sept. 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0827608829
- ISBN-13: 978-0827608825
- Product Dimensions: 17.8 x 4.2 x 25.4 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (3 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 789,577 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Jewish Traditions: JPS Guide: A JPS Guide Paperback – 8 Sep 2008
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
"A reference work for all time--clear, complete, and compelling."--Francine Klagsbrun, author of "The Fourth Commandment: Remember the Sabbath Day "--Francine Klagsbrun
"Offers a startling range of wisdom, history, and nuance behind every Jewish custom."--Rabbi Jeffrey K. Salkin, author of "Putting God on the Guest List " --Rabbi Jeffrey K. Salkin
"A one-volume work that enables [us] to find information on virtually any aspect of the tradition--the festivals, the cycle of life, and ethical behavior."--Rabbi Reuven Hammer, author of "Entering the High Holy Days "--Rabbi Reuven Hammer
"A one-volume work that enables [us to find information on virtually any aspect of the tradition--the festivals, the cycle of life, and ethical behavior."--Rabbi Reuven Hammer, author of "Entering the High Holy Days "--Rabbi Reuven Hammer
About the Author
Ronald Eisenberg has been an academic radiologist for 25 years, a (non-practicing) lawyer, and a prayer-leader/teacher of an alternative minyan he founded in the San Francisco Bay Area. He has a Master's Degree in Jewish Studies from Spertus Institute in Chicago. He has published 18 medical books as well as The 613 Mitzvot (Jason Aronson). His most popular medical books have sold 10,000 copies each and have become required reading in the field.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
Keep it close as this is one of those books you won't want to read from cover to cover, but you will enjoy dipping into from time to time.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
This book gives an encyclopedic guide to Jewish life & law. Although it purports to be non-denomicational, it is really geared towards the Conservative Movement. It has a thorough index, so one can find whatever is in the book. My Rabbi had a hair-cutting service for his 3-year-old son, but there was nothing about that custom in this book. But I looked up several other topics & they were all covered, & thoroughly at that. Recommended highly.
Bible and why certain customs are followed. It is
really very good.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > World History > Slavery
- Books > Reference > Encyclopaedias
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Judaism > History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Judaism > Jewish Life
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > Encyclopaedias
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > History
- Books > Science & Nature > History & Philosophy > Reference
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Multicultural Studies > Jewish Studies