Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Best of 2017 Shop now Shop now

on 15 December 2012
I stumbled upon the book a while ago, looking for a present for a friend. Ordered one right away for myself too. It's a gem: funny, well thought through, with an obvious background of knowledge of the scriptures. I laughed myself to bits. Guess you can enjoy it most when you have some knowledge of what's in the New Testament. But then, this could be an encouragement to read the real thing.
I couldn't help thinking how great it is that books like this can be conceived of and published without some people starting a religious war in the defence of Jesus. I'm sure He had a great laugh too, up there. Only small and restricted minds hate humor. Can't wait for sequels!
on 24 October 2010
This book is a real find. It's beautifully illustrated, irreverent and extremely funny. I laughed out loud at every page turn.

It tells the Gospel stories through the medium of the 1st century version of Facebook - Thyface. The story is wonderfully played out and there are lots of additional bonuses such as ads, article cuttings, recipes etc, in fact I keep finding new gags every time I pick it up. There is even an abridged version of the Acts of the Apostles, genius. The biblical characters are brought to life and are strangely likeable. Now I really want to see the 'coming soon' books mentioned. Buy it, it's wonderful.
on 19 October 2010
I looked at the Thyface website before reading the book; and I must say that the former does not do justice to the printed text. The artwork alone is quite superb.

But best of all are the often subtle historiographic references and brilliant jokes, both at the expense of the Abrahamic religiosi and the whole social networking style. I particularly chuckled over the photo gallery on one page that included Prophet Mohammed [No image] amongst the other mugshots.

Give it to your auntie for Christmas.
on 4 January 2011
Really imaginative and funny book, with loads of intelligent re-interpretation of the gospel stories in social network-speak, so it helps if you're familiar with both of those, obviously. In all probability, this could be a much closer to reality version of events than the gospels, showing all the frailties, egos, misinterpretations, petty jealousies etc that govern all human interaction.

Anyway, beautifully observed and illustrated, and obviously a labour of love, it really is a relatively undiscovered comic jewel. I doubt anyone has ever written a funnier (and to my mind, more accurate) reading of the gospel stories. A well-deserved five stars from me.
on 3 March 2011
Funny. clever. Clearly written by someone who has read the Gospels and knows something of facebook etc. Implications of it being written by a nun and a priest seem unlikely given the reference to the Mary Magdelen baby myth.
VINE VOICEon 28 July 2011
This hilarious book describes the ministry, death and resurrection of Jesus in the style of Facebook. The attention to detail is fantastic, right down to the sidebar adverts. You can read that never-before-published first draft of the sermon on the mount, try out the recipes used by John the Baptist in the wilderness (crispy locust and wild honey fricassee) and trace the family of Herod Antipas on "Who does thou think thou art". I loved the way the authors used classical paintings of biblical events as photos and avatars. My only disappointment is that when I tried to befriend Jesus on the Thyface page of Facebook, he didn't respond. Bah! Perhaps I should have got permission from my male relatives first??
on 12 November 2010
I heard about this through a friend-of-a-friend and had seen the facebook site and twitter feed. And though the online stuff was funny I wasn't prepared for how consistently clever and laugh-out-loud the book would be. Simply, it tells the story of the New Testament but with a seriously well voiced facebook-style narration in the form of status updates (mainly from Jesus) and comments from "friends" like the disciples, Herod or even Satan on one or two occasions.
It's a simple idea but works brilliantly. Just the idea of Jesus saying *lol* is enough to get me going.

For those of us whose knowledge of the New Testament is based upon half-forgotten Sunday School songs or readings of "Bible Stories for Children" when we were six years old, it really brings back the detail too - I can't help but feel that the authors must have seriously researched it.

I'm generally a bit disappointed by what people tend to refer to as "loo books" - more than often they're just a thin idea spread out over 100 or so pages - but this one really delivers. It reminded me of two things - first, there are obviously echoes of the humour of The Life of Brian, but secondly the tone of the Airplane films - each time you look at a page you see something new and hilarious.

And i don't want to spoil it for you but the Mohammed gag at the end is priceless.
on 20 December 2011
I bought this book as a gift and lovethed it so much I've just ordered myself a copy! It is very cleverly written and the authors obviously have a good knowledge of the bible. I'm now looking forward to receiving my copy so that I can catcheth up with my new found friends on Thy-face :D)
on 11 February 2014
If you are used to social networking - this is a fabulous book to buy.
I've given this book as a gift on many occasions, always received a positive feedback.
Hillarious passages and lots of fun!
on 18 January 2014
I only bought this cos my brother-in-law has joined the facebook page..Christians may be offended,unless of course they have a good sense of humour..