Customer reviews

on 24 October 2014
4.5 stars

Let me start with saying that whilst the beginning is a bit slow, once you get into the book it is well worth the money spent on it and it's an interesting read.

The book in someways reminds me of Harry Potter, an 11 year old boy is given a chance to turn his life around from an unexpected source. He had been sleeping rough because of family problems.

Jayden is very charming and a very interesting character at the beginning you think that he will be a selfish person because of the way he is living but you actually see that he is a very interesting person and very loyal and helpful.

The book has lots of twists and turns and I loved how the Author kept you guessing about what would happen next. I would recommend this book to anyone and will be telling my friends and family about it.
on 6 June 2014
This is a very sweet and yet thought provoking story.
It's certainly a book for both, youngsters and adults, and in my opinion a refreshing take on the world from a child's perspective.

Jayden and his friends seem to represent so many of nowadays kids who feel left out and un-belonging that at times it was hard to think of this story as fiction.

The book is also full of beautiful and educational metaphors (again, for both kids and adults - maybe even more for adults) that it makes an exciting pre-bed read.

I feel honored to have spent a few days in Katrina's created world of magic.
on 28 April 2014
​I read this book on my recent holiday and it kept me enthralled, my eReader didn't leave my side and I was always itching to read a bit more to see what happened next.

At the start of the story Jayden is 11 and due to family problems is sleeping rough. One night he is given an opportunity to turn his life around from an unexpected source. Dubious at first, Jayden accepts and is soon settling into a new life, studying at a secret school where all the pupils are from disadvantaged backgrounds. Clearly there is a purpose behind the school, but what exactly is it?

This is a hard book to review simply because it's tough to give any idea of the story without spoiling it. And really this is a story I don't want to spoil for anyone.

Although aimed at young adults (particularly around 11, the same age as Jayden) as with all the best young adult fiction it's an excellent read for anyone.

The plot is really well handled; The journey of Jayden and his friends is one aspect, the purpose of the school another and the reader is kept on their toes by regular twists and turns. Some of these are totally unexpected, others are nicely flagged for the observant reader who will feel very pleased with themselves for having spotted the clue.

The characters are all clearly drawn and the descriptions are detailed enough to sketch them out out not laboured and allow enough space for the reader's imagination to add the finishing touches. All the main characters are very positive role models for young people and many will identify with them and hopefully appreciate how they develop. The writing moves at a really good pace and it is never slow and always grabs attention.

There are moments of humour - mostly around the student's antics either trying to break the rules or playing tricks on each other. Much darker threads are wound in with skill by Cope covering topics such as drug abuse, bullying and terrorism but these are never laboured and always dealt with sympathetically and optimistically. As a parent it is great to see these topics mentioned.

My 9-going-on-10 year old read this book and said it was 'great' and could he have 'more like that'. I don't think you could get a better recommendation.

Overall this is definitely a must read, not just for its target audience but anyone who wants to read a thoughtfully constructed, engaging and thrilling story. I will definitely be reading the sequel.
on 21 January 2015
Jayden and the Mysterious Mountain is of the YA sub-genre that includes kids being whisked away to schools for the gifted where they learn to develop abilities they never knew they had, or bring to fruition abilities that were merely latent before. Like with Harry Potter and so many others, there’s something undeniably captivating to the formula for kids ages nine to thirteen, to which this book will play very well. The author introduces her own twists and variations to the literature, and I particularly enjoyed the swapping out of the school of magic for a school where the kids are building robots and all sorts of mysterious pieces of technology for nebulous reasons. Reasons you can rest assured will be even more eye opening when the truth comes out. I also liked that you didn’t have to be gifted to get into the school in Ms. Cope’s take on a formula just as often coopted by the superhero genre, just hard working; the trials what’s more are more trials of character than ability.

The ensemble cast of kids and the lead are endearing, and Ms. Cope is good at making you wonder what comes next, and how things will actually play out. The pacing throughout is quite brisk. All issues, no matter how dark and brooding, are handled in an age appropriate manner ensuring the drama registers with maximum impact to young readers. I for one kept hoping that somewhere out there someone might actually start a school like this; better yet, that someone else would create a time machine so I could go back in time and go to just such a place.
on 31 October 2013
Jayden has run away from home and is living on the streets when he meets a strange old man who offers to take him to `The Sanctum' high in the mountains where he gets to learn how to use all sorts of mad high tech equipment so that he can fight terrorism. At least that's the story anyway!

This book has a lovely feel to it and certainly something that the younger readers would enjoy. Events which are in reality quite harsh are written in child friendly manner that actually works very well. Cope has a light-hearted entertaining style that reminds me a little of Enid Blyton mixed with a little Harry Potter.
The author's effort to write the journey of Jayden and his friends from a child's perspective has certainly worked! This fantastic book grabs attention of the reader from the start to finish and I felt the characters' emotions through the story. The action packed adventure, unexpected twists and the humour the author is trying to convey are well developed. And the main characters in action express a positive message to all young people out there. This likeable and educational fiction can be definitely recommended for both youngsters and adults.
on 12 January 2015
I just finished reading Katrina Cope’s new book named Jayden & the Mysterious Mountain. It’s the first book of this series. It was an excellent and incentive reading. I’m always searching for this type mysterious and mind refreshing novel. This book is extremely one that satisfied my mind and mentality. In this book, some contents are really amazed me and romanced me also. This book will never be kept down. I’m eagerly waiting for its other parts. Highly recommended for any readers.
on 14 January 2014
When I first started reading this book I was worried I wouldn't enjoy it. I mean, the way Jayden's backstory was presented to us could have been done better; either by showing rather than telling, or by having Jayden tell someone his story afterwards. However, this was the only issue I had with the book, and it turned out to be a fantastic read, which I'm very glad I took the time to read. I look forward to reading more by this author.
on 22 October 2014
Let me start with saying Jayden is a very mature 11 year old, and that's what makes him charming. He's a great character who always does his best and strives to help those in need (including his friends.) I loved the twisting plot. It always had me on my toes and kept up the pace/action. Wonderful writing, wonderful characters, and wonderful plot. Great book.
on 13 August 2014
This is the first book in trilogy by Katrina Cope.I was given book 3 as a beta read from author,so I had to read the first book,to familiarize myself with the beginnings of the characters.It was a wee bit slow at first,but it came through in end to be a good little story,especially liked Jaydeyns character.