Jamon Jamon [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 10 December 2015
Having seen the wonderful Volver I did hope that this was more of the same. Penelope Cruz is as lovely as ever but this film has a slightly sleazy atmosphere although I think the steamy scenes will apeal to the more hot-blooded. I also found some of the bloodshed in the fight scenes a bit too strong.

Its virtue is the picture it paints of living in poverty in an extremely bleak, empty area of Spain
on 24 May 2017
Incredibly dark and funny. An excellent watch from start to finish.
on 30 July 2017
Sexually twisted but entertaining.
on 17 November 2017
happy with my purchase
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 October 2007
I love this film... I saw it on the big screen when it was released in Spain, and wanted to have it in my DVD collection.
...it's not your "average film", but that's what makes it worth watching :)
on 5 May 2014
This release features a low-quality image with non-removable subtitles clearly dubbed from an old analog source (vhs or laserdisc). This fact should be noted in the description. An uncharacteristically poor release from Tartan.
on 20 June 2017
At that time, the special effects of the film were good. The plot is tortuous. If I had, I must find someone like the hero. My brother and I watched it together. A story with happy ending. Not bad. If there's one next, I'll be looking forward to it.
on 27 November 2001
What a superb film ! This is the one which introduced me to all things Spanish. Be warned though, I have given this 5 stars only because I am a huge fan of the wacky fast-paced plots of Spanish cinema.
For many years I believed that Jamon Jamon was typical of Spanish Cinema. However I have now come to realise that Bigas Luna was actually laughing at how foreigners interpret his native land: the references to ham, spanish omelette, garlic, the barren landscapes, fiery women, musica "bacalao" of the early 90's, all intertwined around a plot consisting of an underwear factory and a love-triangle.
Set on the outskirts of Madrid, Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz are fantastic in this story of lust and temptation. This film is a must for anybody remotely interested in Spanish cinema.
on 17 August 2006
This is not your average run of the mill love story. It's an offbeat, somewhat excessive plot; a sort of love triangle but involving more than three people, all of whom are driven by lust and greed and seem to have no real control over their lives. If there is a message within the story, it is not glaringly obvious but it does make a mockery of love and highlights the fickleness of human nature, irrespective of age or experience. On the whole I found the film to be a little too contrived for my liking and the ending was rather elusive but overall it's worth a watch, if only to see angry Spaniards hitting each other with legs of ham.
on 11 July 2001
This for me is one of the best films by Bigas Lunas although "The Tit & the Moon" comes a very close second. This is the tale of hot blooded spaniards caught in tangled love triangles. Penelope Cruz is stunning and I knew all those years ago that her beauty and innocence would carry her far. The blurb to the film really says it all as the truly strong characters in this film are the women. "A story where men eat meat and women eat men". Also starring Javier Bardem who went on to star in "Perdita Derango" with Rosie Perez this is a slice of Spain that I love. Also worth checking out by Bigas Lunas is Huevos D'Oro (Goldenballs).Enjoy.