on 16 August 2013
This book is an excellent companion piece to the novels of James Herbert. The writer Craig Cabell gives a broad history of James Herbert's working and private life providing a background to each of his novels. I certainly came away impressed with how much work went into each novel and how the author bravely admitted some works were not his finest. Herbert comes across as a determined man who strove to improve the horror genre and publishing in general. The biography ends with Nobody True but I believe there is a new updated version with a complete book list now that the great man is no longer with us. I bought this version at a bargain price but some readers may want to seek out the complete updated version. Two thirds of the book covers Herbert's life and novels while the last third features an excellent short story Extinct, a cut chapter from Sepulchre, an essay, suggested further reading and an extensive bibliography. To summarise this is a fascinating companion piece to James Herbert's novels and a worthy tribute to his legacy of work.
on 3 October 2013
Useful background about Herbert's childhood, and his adult years before he became a full-time writer; but this biography is as much a chronology of his published works, detailing his own thoughts about them, as a history of his personal life. As such it has inspired me to seek out the few of his novels I had missed, as well as to joyfully revisit those I had read already. It's a bit like the 'making of' and 'behind the scenes' documentaries on the box set dvds of a movie or TV show. As such, I found it to be an enlightening and enjoyable read.
on 17 May 2015
If you have Devil in the dark. By the same author. Disappointingly books are identical. Except the other has a Herbert short story. And this one the author tells us of his reaction to Herbert's death.
on 7 January 2016
It was quite an insight into James Herbert.
I like many have read ever book he published but new nothing about him or what drove him to write the way he did.
on 14 July 2013
i just had to read this book it gives you a great insight into James Herbert's books i wonder if there are any more to be released now that he has passed away he will be sadly missed
on 1 July 2016
Great
on 1 March 2014
As a long time fan of James Herbert i recently began a new read of all his books. Herbert began writing in the 1970s and i was interested in finding out why he wrote the books. This was a well written insight into what inspired him to write his books. A very enjoyable read.
on 12 January 2018
Well on time, Thanks
on 22 April 2013
I found it quite interesting to read about the real
life of james herbert as an author a very interesting
book.
on 29 September 2013
I bought this by mistake, not realising it was a biography, and sadly I am not keen on biographies at all. Nothing wrong with the book, subject or author, just not for me.
I am part way through it, and I will finish it, though it may take some time.