- Enjoy £1.00 reward to spend on movies or TV on Amazon Video when you purchase a DVD or Blu-ray offered by Amazon.co.uk. A maximum of 1 reward per customer applies. UK customers only. Offer ends at 23:59 GMT on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
- Note: Blu-ray discs are in a high definition format and need to be played on a Blu-ray player.
- Also check our best rated Box Set reviews
Other Sellers on Amazon
The Jacques Rivette Collection [Dual Format Blu-Ray + DVD]
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
The Jacques Rivette Collection brings together some of the director s hardest to see works, each restored, newly translated and debuting on home video for the first time in UK.
Out 1 is one of the crowning achievements of Rivette s remarkable career. Conceived as a television mini-series, this near-thirteen-hour monolith consists of eight feature-length episodes revolving around two theatre troupes, blackmail and conspiracy. Multiple characters introduce multiple plotlines, weaving a rich tapestry across an epic runtime.
Originally screened just the once in its full-length version in 1971, Out 1 was then re-conceived by Rivette as a four-and-a-half-hour feature and re-named Out 1: Spectre to acknowledge its shadow-like nature. Both are presented in this boxed-set, fully restored and with newly-translated English subtitles.
Complementing Out 1 are two parallel films , Duelle (une quarantaine) and Noroît (une vengeance). The former sees Rivette head into fantasy territory: the Queen of the Sun (Bulle Ogier) and the Queen of the Night (Juliet Berto) search for a magical diamond in present-day Paris. The latter is a loose adaptation of The Revenger s Tragedy and a pirate tale, starring Geraldine Chaplin (Nashville, Cría cuervos). Also included is Merry-Go-Round, in which Joe Dallesandro (Flesh for Frankenstein) and Maria Schneider (The Passenger, Last Tango in Paris) are summoned to Paris, kickstarting the most surreal of all Rivette s mysteries.
Limited Edition Contents
- Limited Edition Collection [3,000 Copies]
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of all films from brand new 2K restorations of the films with Out 1 supervised by cinematographer Pierre-William Glenn Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-rays)
- Optional newly-translated English subtitles for all films
- The Mysteries of Paris: Jacques Rivette s Out 1 Revisited a brand-new feature length documentary by Robert Fischer and Wilfried Reichart containing interviews with actors Bulle Ogier, Michael Lonsdale and Hermine Karagheuz, cinematographer Pierre-William Glenn, assistant director Jean-François Stévenin and producer Stéphane Tchalgadjieff, as well as rare archival interviews with actors Jacques Doniol-Valcroze and Michel Delahaye, and director Jacques Rivette
- Scenes from a Parallel Life: Jacques Rivette Remembers archive interview with the director, in which he discusses Duelle (une quarantaine), Noroît (une vengeance) and Merry-Go-Round, featuring additional statements from Bulle Ogier and Hermine Karagheuz
- Brand-new interview with critic Jonathan Rosenbaum, who reported from the sets of both Duelle (une quarantaine) and Noroît (une vengeance)
- Exclusive perfect-bound book containing new writing on the films by Mary M. Wiles, Brad Stevens, Ginette Vincendeau and Nick Pinkerton
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
Thanks again Arrow for bringing us great cinema/kino/cine/...who's next, Fassbinder?
That which was most surprising to me, was the unexpected joy of Rivette's less infamous mid-70s films. Duelle and Noroit were especially fascinating, innovative and bewitching. Rivette was as playful a filmmaker as I have ever experienced, dealing with weighty metaphysical themes with the deft hand of a cinematic aesthete who is comfortable with having a giggle at himself and at everybody else. The relish for our natural environment, humanity's erotic obsessions and our innate curiosity for the mysteries embedded within the most mundane aspects of our everyday lives, are present throughout the films contained in this boxset.
Rivette's most significant work in this box remains Out 1: Spectre, his radically re-cut version of the original Out 1. The ability to change the mood, tone and texture of the piece through such skillful manipulation provides ample evidence of Rivette's supreme talent as a filmmaker. He is aided and abetted by Berto, Ogier, Leaud and Lonsdale (alongside other cast members) who all give brave and liberated performances.
So, are questions of Rivette's difficulty somewhat beside the point? I think they might be. Put simply, Rivette is unique and peerless in his approach to the art of cinema.Read more ›
Paris is turned into disconnected individual groups hermetically sealed off from each other.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
These films are concerned with the process of filmmaking rather than anything else. the films are a flawed outcome of filmmaking experiments. Read morePublished 6 months ago by Bogart
Even now, after several decades, Rivette's films are really on another level. After watching a few of them other films might seem dull in comparison, and you'd have to re-calibrate... Read morePublished 15 months ago by moviemotion