Jacques Garcia: Twenty Years of Passion: Château du Champ de Bataille Hardcover – 25 Nov 2013
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
""Jacques Garcia" showcases the AD100 decorator's jaw-dropping Normandy estate." -"Architectural Digest" "The sumptuous new volume reveals what the designer has been doing for the past two decades when he wasn't dreaming up interiors for clients." -"Elle Decor" ""Champ de Bataille" is the culmination of a personal journey and life story; it is also the most subtle and eloquent of self-portraits." -"Departures Magazine" "A new monograph from the incomparable French designer puts the spotlight on his most personal - and ambitious--project to date..." -"1st Dibs"
About the Author
Alain Stella is the author of Mariage Freres French Tea: Three Centuries of Savoir-Faire (2003), Historic Houses of Paris: Residences of the Ambassadors (2010), and French Wine Chateaux: Distinctive Vintages and Their Estates (2012), all published by Flammarion. Eric Sander's photographs have been published in numerous magazines worldwide, including Life, Time, and Newsweek, and in more than fifteen books.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
But rest assured - this is the most sumptuous, most successful, most beautiful and admirable book you will probably ever access or purchase. I love that Garcia is self-made. The chateau was not just waiting for him to move in - it has been a struggle and an extraordinary financial investment and the results are breathtaking.
I particularly like the parts of the chateau that are not French - the Armory is far-eastern and turkish, the pavilion near eastern and indian. Marvellous comparisons with Pierre Loti etc.
Don't hesitate ... buy, and buy more copies for your more tasteful friends.
The book is about the result of twenty years restoring and decorating chateau du Champ de Bastaille, owned and done by Jacques Garcia (and his team). Don't expect before and after pictures or many words on the history of the chateau. It's the current result that counts. And that result is breathtaking. On the outside the castle looks sober and rigorous, from the inside the rooms shown are opulent decorated in Louis XIV, -XV and XVI's style and some in the empire style. One garden house is done in a Indian style.
Since mister Garcia is a decorator by profession, the styling of the rooms is done with some theatrical effect, but he never exaggerates. It seems not his purpose to style the rooms in a historical context. The French chateaux that still exist with original interiors do not let such opulence seen, not even that of the higher nobility (with the obvious exception of the royal house).
Not only his style evokes admiration. It makes you also wonder how it is possible that someone without a Facebook fortune is getting it done to get all those precious original 17 and 18th century objects, furniture and paintings. A standing ovation is appropriate.
That certainly applies to the photographer who has made great pictures. Nowhere is it overdone. And thank God no unnecessary pictures of cats or flower pots to emphasize the atmosphere (often seen in other books about chateaux). The detail photos shown are form objects or area's that are also shown from a distance perspective. Why one room is getting more pictorial attention than the other, is not clear.
Five stars for the pictures. A small minus is the limited information about the objects and furniture shown. Hence 4 in total stars.
Everyone should see this book!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Like being back in the 17th century. I highly recommend this book.Published 7 months ago by Miriam M. Saif
Sumptuous volume. Magnificently illustrated.
Very large hardback tome, beautifully bound and illustrated with a vast number of high quality full page photographs.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Types of Architecture > Residential Buildings > Palaces, Chateaux & Country Houses
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Design Studies > Interior Design
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Guggenheim
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Hermitage
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Louvre
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Musee D'Orsay
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Museum of Modern Art (NY)
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > National Gallery & National Portrait Gallery (UK)
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Pompidou Centre
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Prado
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Tate Modern & Tate Gallery
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Uffizi
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Whitney Museum of American Art
- Books > Home & Garden > Interior Design & Decoration > Professional Interior Design
- Books > Home & Garden > Interior Design & Decoration > Styles & Decor