on 20 November 1998
Being very interested in the Kennedy family I am usually a sucker for new titles. This was no exception.As soon as I saw it in the bookshop yesterday I bought it and sat down to read. I found it a very disappointing experience. There really wasn't very much in the book that is new - some of the more sensational bits were little short of irritating. I am getting sick of writers who put in such information as the so-called affair with Onassis before marriage, and with Brando etc. later, with either no back-up evidence at all OR ON THE UNSUBSTANTIATED EVIDENCE OF A SINGLE PERSON. These things are presented as fact simply because IT HAS BEEN SAID! (One on the evidence of Mrs. Lincoln who seems to have had a bone to pick anyway as aluded to in this book). Easy to make these statements about people who are dead isn't it! Some of the information was fairly interesting but I had to wade through so much old hat stuff to get there. And this writer is trotted out as an expert on Jackie! He had enough here to write a pamphlet and he's stretched it as far as he could. He obviously belongs to the Andrew Morton school of writers - milk a topic for every possible cent. Also writes in the gosh, golly, wow style that I find so irritating in the magazines. His first book wasn't so bad but this is a real pot-boiler.
on 4 March 1998
Being a long-time Kennedy enthusiast, I snatched this book as soon as it was published. My compliments to the author for a very direct writing style that keeps the reader very involved and moving along through the story quickly. However, I found myself wondering with all the anonymous sources how many of the details are just gossip. I do feel there are certain aspects of any human's life that should remain quiet, and some of the details about Jackie's alleged lovers and what she ordered at a restaurant and intimate conversations with her son about his love life, etc. etc. should remain private. Andersen criticized the media that hounded her but fails to acknowledge the way his own project hounded her memory.
on 25 May 1998
The author treads a fine line between adulation and exposure. The portrait that results is of a woman molded as much by societal influences as by her own choices. Those carefully orchestrated days of Camelot left a bad taste in the after math of truth. Jackie represented a style that no longer dominates perceptions. She was raised to bask in the reflected glory of her husband. Her own identity became submerged in his. It comes as no surprise that her choice after Kennedy's death was to remain in the seats of power, even if that meant marrying Onassis.
on 4 August 1999
This book is a page turner from the beginning. I have never read Christopher Andersen before, and now am reading another novel of his, "An Affair to Remember" detailing the love story between Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. As someone who was not alive when JFK was shot, I never really understood this country's fascination with the Kennedy family. After reading this book, I now have a hunger to learn more about our "royal family." This is an easy, entertaining, poignant read.
on 21 October 2008
I've got stacks of books about the Kennedys-a family I find fascinating. I recently bought this and was pretty staggered to read stuff I'd not heard about before, thereby learning even more about them. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Even some of the photos I'd not seen before.
I have a couple of others by Christopher Andersen-Sweet Caroline and The Day Diana Died-and this one's my favourite of the three, I have to say.
on 16 September 2015
loved this book, its well written, would recommend it.
on 3 February 2017